PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday antics...

Saloony
16-10-11, 11:40 AM
I treated my mate to a track day experience as he has helped me a great deal when i bought my house, he re-wired the whole place, and also for generally being a top bloke. Bought a Lambo and Aston experience for the pair of us, with high speed saloon ride also. We went to the Prodrive test track in Warwickshire.
You'll be glad to know the high speed saloon ride was in, yes our old favourite VXR8. And when i say high speed... well every corner me and the lad spent looking out the side windows. Serious high speed drifting, shredding the rear tyres. They had their own 'stig' type doing the driving on this... also another dude, we'll call him t**t with a hat. Lanky sod just strolled round all day with his aviators on and a tea cosie on his head, drove like an absolute bell end, but was good at it. You really wanted to see him cock up tho. 'Stig' did get it wrong driving to hot a couple of times in this and another car, maybe he was doing it cos we were un-phased by his driving or he just had enough that day.
My mate paid for us to have a 2 lap passenger ride out in the Supercharged Aeiral Atom. God alive, the acceleration of it, really notice it upto 50mph then it becomes the norm oddly, just feel the wind resistance against your helmet. Even the way it corners doesnt suprise you, its the way it shrugges of speed on the brakes, really pulling some serious 'g' on them, really shockingly hot on the brakes.
We had our runs out in an Aston Martin DB9 sport and the Lambo Murcielago. All the cars in use had personal instructors. Dude that ran us with the DB was a seriously calm bloke. Semi understandable, as he was just asking to gently corner with it, seriously light on the rear end. Much like an old Mk3 Supra. So any given moment to much throttle was seeing it being very twitchy even on the straight. Makes the Monaro feel like a much more planted car and slightly more capable. Thing that did annoy and did cause me to miss gear was the auto-tip tronic box. You were using the pads but even if you let it go past 6,000rpm it changed up itself. And on change down both me and car changed down at the same time from 3rd so it came into 1st, so quick back up to 2nd and guess what the car thought that too and we're in 3rd again. I wanted to leave the ups a little long and on the down lot closer and harder with the braking but just wouldnt let me. Still a lovely car and is well up on the wish list, but the Lambo.... God alive what a car, LCD display had given up on the gear selector so was hard to guage where you were for some corners with a high revving tall gear'd car you really had to think, This instructor, was like having Clarkson sat next to you, POWER, UP UP UP UP UP, BRAKES DOWN DOWN DOWN... he just wanted you to really use it, and on the ending of the first lap you saw why, the grip on the thing. Your brain cannot compute the sheer speed you can carry round the corners for what is a large hunk of a car. You were exiting corners and your head was playing catch up just thinking 'hang on how did that happen'. Excellent car seriously loved it. Much Wantage.
Overall great day, organisation was poor tho, so anyone thats looking to do this arrive an hour early as we did otherwise you wont be seeing daylight ours when getting home. Just a couple of pics to bore you with. Cheers all.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b204/Keiranova/C65E3635.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b204/Keiranova/C65E3417.jpg

Spudly
16-10-11, 12:48 PM
Nice write up Craig, makes me want to do a driving experience even more than i already did lol

I saw your comments on faceghey and kinda figured out what you were upto, very jealous bud:thumb:

Benn
16-10-11, 03:39 PM
Awesome, sounds like an amazing day.

Saloony
16-10-11, 06:43 PM
Was ace, loving my serious driving face. My mate had a beaming smile all day

wwmnw
16-10-11, 06:47 PM
Looks awesome, I had a day at croft a few years ago but didn't drive anything as exotic as that. Would love to one day though and I'm sure I will!

Lewis.
16-10-11, 07:01 PM
sounds great fella :) I did one of those driving experiences a couple of weeks ago... in an artic lol

Saloony
18-10-11, 08:27 AM
With the trailer? lol

scott.parker
18-10-11, 09:04 AM
Looks ace mate, didn't know they did it there, tempted now for next birthday..

You can see in them to pics the DB9 looks to be under steering and leaning loads more then the lambo.

Scott

Saloony
18-10-11, 01:03 PM
Was well front end heavy, the V12 must have been made from pig iron lol saying that course it was ford were in on it lol

Lewis.
18-10-11, 07:28 PM
With the trailer? lol

yeah, 45 foot box trailer lol did some reversing and all

mowgli
18-10-11, 07:43 PM
yeah, 45 foot box trailer lol did some reversing and all

you should have asked me..... i'd have given you a driving experience in a wagon last week.... we just sold our old iveco 7.5t tipper for export... it could do about 85, and handled brilliantly....... i used to chase down cars & pass them in it with 3t of hot tarmac, 4 barrows, some rakes, a wacker plate in the back...

modern artics are no fun... an old one with no speed limiter & a decent engine (late 80s) was hilarious.. i had a tractor unit running solo with the speedo needle right round & bouncing off the back of the 0 mph pin.. that means about 110mph.. we had 2 artics doing over 90 side by side on the m1 one day...fully loaded tippers... on the day in 1997 that the IRA called bomb scares on the whole country & we'd been royally screwed about & needed to reach a deadline..the cops were far too busy looking for suspicious packages to worry about a pair of green leylands screaming by.