PDA

View Full Version : ABS/MOT questions

Stuart
12-10-11, 10:13 AM
I know the regs are online etc but they are written in official ingrish which contradicts and meanders.

If a car 'was' fitted with ABS but no longer has it fitted what testing is required and what may/maynot fail?
Would it be a case of the ABS warning light coming on then going off with ignition/start or is the test more detailed than that?

Alex J
12-10-11, 10:24 AM
if the light isnt on, it dosnt matter if it has it or not.

steviegsi
12-10-11, 11:13 AM
^ seems about right when I whipped the bulb out of a car as a last minute "fix" and it sailed through. lol

Alex J
12-10-11, 11:18 AM
was going to say that trick;)lol

Novasport
12-10-11, 02:40 PM
We recently failed a vehicle as ABS was fitted(wheel speed sensors and hydraulic block present) but the light did not come on and extinguish(someone had removed the bulb). Depends how observant the MOT tester is but if it is fitted it must work or it is a failure.
Don't quote me on this but I think there are more MOT rules to come for ABS and I know soon that an EML light on will fail the test.

mowgli
12-10-11, 02:46 PM
light on always fails the test on wagons.

stu, what does the car do in its std form?, i'm sure there is a way of copying it, with either dummy sensors, or resistors to fiddle the signal.. it wouldn't be the end of the world to put together a circuit to flash the light for a couple of seconds when the ign is put on.

Tim Harpley
12-10-11, 04:33 PM
Hi,I'm a tester rules are if its fitted light has to indicate there's no fault in the system, we have info that tells us what the light should do during the self test when the ignition is turned on. So if its on or off all the time it should fail, hope this helps.
However it also says that if a component is missing but the system performes its check ok it should be brought to the presenters attention so in this case it would pass. Also if you removed the system who's to say whether it had it fitted as standard or not, it would then have to be tested as a vehicle without ABS.

autoworksnovasport
12-10-11, 04:54 PM
as above the light needs to iluminate with ignition and go off a secound or two after cranking

TeddyThom
12-10-11, 06:33 PM
Isn't the basic rule "if it's not there then it doesn't get tested??" like a spare wheel for example.

Andy
12-10-11, 06:35 PM
Isn't the basic rule "if it's not there then it doesn't get tested??" like a spare wheel for example.
Excellent,remind me not to go with any bodyshell next time my van gets tested-then it cant possibly fail on rust,why didnt anyone think of this before............

TeddyThom
12-10-11, 06:37 PM
Excellent,remind me not to go with any bodyshell next time my van gets tested-then it cant possibly fail on rust,why didnt anyone think of this before............

No need for the sarcasm mate, I was merely goin on the proviso that if there is no spare wheel, then it can't tested. I didn't know if it was like that across the board.

autoworksnovasport
12-10-11, 06:42 PM
yeah there is a rule but its not that it doesnt get tested its that part was not available "at time of test" ie no headlights it can be tested for daytime use only

TeddyThom
12-10-11, 06:47 PM
yeah there is a rule but its not that it doesnt get tested its that part was not available "at time of test" ie no headlights it can be tested for daytime use only

Same sh!t lol

So yeah what I said then was basically valid.

Stuart
12-10-11, 06:52 PM
Had a call from my sexy beast of an MOT man lol

Apparently if everything bar the wheel speed sensors is removed then 'technically' the car still has ABS, even if one of the sensors is needed for the vehicle speed on the dash/to the ECU..... So in short what I have in mind as a product is 'fine' but may still fail an MOT lol