PDA

View Full Version : Another dvla rant!!!

Spudly
10-10-11, 06:16 PM
Got a sorn reminder through on sat for another car i have hiding away, and i did it online and thought id have a spy at my nova (which Andy put on sorn last september) and when i checked online it said it had been unlicenced since july 2010:eek:

I was like wtf, best get this sorted pronto, did a sorn online there and then and ive just gotten off the phone with a guy from dvla, and he said that even if the car was on a sorn, when it went from Andy's name to mine, the sorn declaration becomes null and i have to declare it sorn once its in my name!

What the hell is all that about then and why the hell did they not write to me to let me know about this, oh thats right because they want to sting me for the fine for not declaring, and the back dated tax when i come to tax it, yeah nice one!!

Tossers:wtf::wtf:

Andy
10-10-11, 06:20 PM
Says 31/07/2011,but how this new rule has come about is a piss take

NOV4_SPORT
10-10-11, 06:20 PM
Bad times bud.

Spudly
10-10-11, 06:27 PM
Oh yeah this year not last, but still they think its been unlicenced for three months now when i was believing it were on sorn!

Fook knows when this came about, but its what the guy at doovla said, ive got to ring the leeds office tomorrow (i assume where all the fines originate) and see what they say in regards to whether ill be seeing any fines or not!

Stuart
10-10-11, 06:32 PM
tbh I'd not remind them of the cock up and wait till a fine turns up...... IF you remind them the fine may just appear.

Sorn transfers with ownership

Spudly
10-10-11, 06:34 PM
Thats what i was thinking Stu but its a good job i rang swansea as when i declared it sorn on the website on saturday, it didnt actually go through so he did it manually for me!

And i was thinking sorn transferred with ownership but according to the dvla guy it does not!

Stuart
10-10-11, 06:35 PM
in that case, tax shouldnt transfer but it does ;)

Andy
10-10-11, 06:57 PM
Exactly Stuart,what a load of balls,like i said earlier spud,theres usually a fortnight AT LEAST to getting a new V5 after getting a new car so that would leave EVERYBODY open to fines on receipt of a new car!!

John
10-10-11, 07:19 PM
Yep more dvla nonsense imho. They won't send you a reminder for the sorn either so they expect you to remember to do it every year. I think stu the sorn Doesn't transfer with new ownership now. When i bought the polo it was sorn, i kept it off the road till the other one had sold, but i still got a warning letter from the dvla.

Spudly
10-10-11, 07:24 PM
Oh i got a sorn reminder for the other car ive got on sorn which is what prompted me to check on the nova, didnt get a reminder nor a warning for the nova though:cry:

Jack
10-10-11, 07:46 PM
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/UntaxedVehicle/DG_4022058

Recently registered as the vehicle keeper
If you have become the registered keeper of the vehicle and received your V5C during the current month you will need to fill in a V890 ‘Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)’ form and send it to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AR.

For example, if you became the keeper on 4 December and received the V5C on 26 December you will need to fill in a V890. If you became the keeper on 28 November and received the V5C on 20 December you could SORN online or by phone.
Pretty ridiculous rule if you ask me, clearly aimed at catching people out.

Novasport
10-10-11, 07:49 PM
SORN is not transferrable with ownership, its been like that for a long while. I always get reminders when the SORN needs renewing on any of the cars I have owned.
I used to get one every year on the old Sport and that never saw the road in the 6 years I had it. I know any money going to the DVLA is painfull but 3 months tax on a 1.2 Nova is not exactly big bucks.

Andy
10-10-11, 07:52 PM
Its not 1.2 is 2.0 so is a fair whack

Novasport
10-10-11, 08:29 PM
Did not think it was reg'd as a 2.0 yet.

Edd
10-10-11, 08:33 PM
I havnt put the Sport on SORN since I got it

Am I in trouble??? How much fine ?? :(

Novasport
10-10-11, 08:36 PM
How log have you had it now? About 18 months? Get it SORN'd online sharpish if you can

The Swing had never been SORN'd before I had it, it had been unlicenced since 2001. Luckily fines don't transfer to new owners :)

Spudly
10-10-11, 08:39 PM
Did not think it was reg'd as a 2.0 yet.

Aye Andy did that whilst it was mid build originally, has always been reg'd as a big block since it was xe'd:thumb:

mowgli
10-10-11, 08:42 PM
i actually forgot to register my red mk1 in my name, i got it in april 2000, and realised in 2007.. i wrote the dvla a nice letter & got it sorted with no costs at all

AlexW
10-10-11, 11:23 PM
This whole thread without mentioning the new Tax/Insurance law....

I'm currently breaking this new law to see how long it takes them, Not that I've even got the fecking logbook yet. Differing places say it might just be a straight fine or a warning letter first, We shall see.

scott.parker
10-10-11, 11:33 PM
How so are you breaking what??

As for the SORN transfer crap, thats mental, and Spud/Edd just SORN the car, don't tell them it's not been taxed for x amount of time, lol there "instant" fine system dose not work, a few year ago when it was is full swing, my dad forgot to check his tax, it was being drove on the road for 4 months with no tax (lucky less cop cars had ANPR then) he craped him self when i told him, he just went and taxed it at the post office, no automatic fine there!!

Jack
11-10-11, 07:49 AM
How so are you breaking what??
The new insurance laws; if a car is taxed, it must be insured. If its not insured, you have to SORN it.

So, if you usually have two cars, keeping both taxed but swap your insurance between the two, you can't do that any more. You need to SORN whichever one isn't being used.

Its just a sly way of weaning more money out of people tbh.

Stuart
11-10-11, 08:24 AM
The new insurance laws; if a car is taxed, it must be insured. If its not insured, you have to SORN it.

So, if you usually have two cars, keeping both taxed but swap your insurance between the two, you can't do that any more. You need to SORN whichever one isn't being used.

Its just a sly way of weaning more money out of people tbh.

techncially they will get less money unless you stump up for two insurance policies... as you will sorn one car rather than pay tax on it.

Jack
11-10-11, 11:31 AM
techncially they will get less money unless you stump up for two insurance policies... as you will sorn one car rather than pay tax on it.
I was thinking more along the lines of people cancelling tax mid-month or suchlike, so the rebates only being for full month amounts.

Anyone know how much insurance tax is? Be interesting to know what kinda cash the government rakes in from policies.

Stuart
11-10-11, 12:11 PM
6% or 20% http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageExcise_InfoGuides&propertyType=document&id=HMCE_CL_001224#P4_47

no VAT though.

It will either net the govt more or less money.... some will tax and insure both cars year round thus getting more dosh from everything car related, or the other car will be untaxed and uninsured while the previous one is used and the user simply paying to transfer the Insurance over and buying tax at clean month breaks