PDA

View Full Version : Tech help WTD TYP

L14MNP
10-10-11, 12:18 PM
Had to move my router into the living room on account of getting a Dreambox, now the desktop PC is unable to connect to the internet without a long ass ethernet cable - which I currently have deployed. Obviously this is no good.

I am too tight to buy or attempt to build a new desktop with built in wireless, so I purchased a USB dongle from eBay which I thought would do the trick. Two driver disks lately and still no joy!

When i explore the disk drive it comes up blank, leading me to believe that the disks themselves are surely blank.
The seller says the disks won't autorun (I know) and I need to install via directory. This doesn't work either.

Any ideas where I can download drivers? I had a bash the other day, downloaded onto laptop then onto USB mem stick, but they weren't compatible.

The USB wireless dongle has no name on it, all it says is WiFi 54M lol

802.11 gWLAN is displayed when XP attempts to install the device, but this just seems to be a standard for these wireless dongles?

halp meh plz :d

L14MNP
10-10-11, 12:42 PM
Option two is to run a permanent ethernet cable. Might do that, even though it means channelling walls and lifting floors. :Hmmm

Jeff16v
10-10-11, 01:50 PM
I'd start with Intel pro-set drivers then look at broadcom, also atheros, cisco.

L14MNP
10-10-11, 02:26 PM
Thanks for that Jeff. Will have a search mate. :thumb: