PDA

View Full Version : anyone attempted a nova z20lex?

heds
08-10-11, 09:11 PM
as title has anyone attempted to fit a z20let or leh into a nova?
any pics/links/info would be great

Mieran
08-10-11, 09:15 PM
someone in Holland, wip on here somewhere

**** engines really, I rather have a 200k c20xe or c20let instead!

Edd
08-10-11, 09:23 PM
I agree brittle crap engines lol

For the amount of greif fitting it to a nova your better off installing a corsa vxr engine imo

heds
08-10-11, 09:24 PM
not much different to the c20let really, they look after them selves and MUCH easier to diagnose problems and to remap, no paper clips and silly chips, just a laptop ;-)
and by the time you hang a big turbine off the front it changes things a bit.

Andy
08-10-11, 09:26 PM
If c20xe/lets were so good they would still make them.Its only Nova and corsa heads who think theyre good,as it makes a sh1t car-good.

heds
08-10-11, 09:33 PM
ive done the nova c20ne/c20xe and c20let so fancy something different. the engines are fine if you spend some money on them, steel rods/pistons/squirters/arp's. will be as reliable as any c20let and newer with less miles, the bores dont wear like the c20's and the crank is exactly the same part number as a 1980's 2ltr 8v cavalier! will be as happy at 500bhp as a c20let will.

Mieran
08-10-11, 09:34 PM
I can't think of many manufacturers still producing engines that they've made in late 80s/early90s, and if they were crap they wouldn't still be used in btcc and various other motorsport

Andy
08-10-11, 09:40 PM
I cant-that says it all-manufacturers produce better things,newer things.
Btcc is not an Xe,the only thing remotely xe is the L cover if your on about last seasons Chevrolet???
Why would a 2011 team use an 80's engine?
I agree,good engine/s for their time but theres better stuff around now and the Zlets are better.......

Nick J
08-10-11, 09:40 PM
as title has anyone attempted to fit a z20let or leh into a nova?
any pics/links/info would be great

I heard a tale you've already nearly completed the above and into a very nice shell too!?....... Their is a guy from holland who has completed a zlet into his nova and the thread is on here somewhere in the projects section. Also Gunny now has a corsa vxr motor running in his nova too. The thread for that one is on the following link fella.......http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?113434-Gunny-s-83-Nova Hope this helps.

Edit...... Here is the zlet/f23 thread...........http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?155121-z20let-f23

Nick.

Mieran
08-10-11, 09:46 PM
I cant-that says it all-manufacturers produce better things,newer things.
Btcc is not an Xe,the only thing remotely xe is the L cover if your on about last seasons Chevrolet???
Why would a 2011 team use an 80's engine?
I agree,good engine/s for their time but theres better stuff around now and the Zlets are better.......

How many of either have you owned?

I've had 3x c20xe 1x c20let and 2x z20lets so I can give a fair opinion on each not just say they're better because they are newer

The Z20s were crap, slow as **** standard and turbos only last 2 seconds, I rather drive a c20xe any day of the week even if they're slower!

Edd
08-10-11, 09:53 PM
The standard z let turbo is complete rubbish

Vauxhall don't even sell them they would offer the vxr unit

A car with a zlet in it feels slow because they come in 1250kg astras

Too many common problems for me

Andy
08-10-11, 09:55 PM
Only owned Xe's but driven Zlet's and friends have/had Clets
Theres not much in C/Zlets in my opinion,just the Zlet felt smoother,more refined,reliabilty hasnt been bad on the ones i know of.
An astra G Gsi would waste a Cavalier turbo imo

MK999
08-10-11, 09:57 PM
My dads turbo is faster than your dads turbo anyway.

heds
08-10-11, 10:01 PM
the newer engines feel less powerful because newer cars are heavier (they have to be) and the engines are smoother/quieter (they have to be) and the newer engines have more restrictions cats/power limits etc (they have to) thats the days we live in unfortunatly.
there is very little difference between a zlet and a c20. one has open deck i agree but that can be pinned.
yes i do have a z20 nova, its not finished yet, i could have it finished very soon but im not fitting a standard engine, im going for a much higher spec.
a cheeky pic for you
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/4589/imageklz.jpg

Edd
08-10-11, 10:02 PM
My astra mk4 gsi was fast just didnt feels it because it was so smooth

It broke many times tho, once the turbo blew, I fitted new oil pump, feed and return lines and a new zlet turbo unit, had mate round who works at vauxhall to make sure it was primmed and fitted right, did 700 miles and it blew again lol took it back to vauxhall in a box of bits and got given a vxr unit :)

Edd
08-10-11, 10:04 PM
Heds, that does look nice

Please say youve got a M32 box on that as well?

Mieran
08-10-11, 10:04 PM
video of my ph2 z20let corsa, as you can see, slow as fook

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc250/Mieran2010/?action=view&current=ph2.mp4

ph2 c20let would be much faster

Nick J
08-10-11, 10:11 PM
the newer engines feel less powerful because newer cars are heavier (they have to be) and the engines are smoother/quieter (they have to be) and the newer engines have more restrictions cats/power limits etc (they have to) thats the days we live in unfortunatly.
there is very little difference between a zlet and a c20. one has open deck i agree but that can be pinned.
yes i do have a z20 nova, its not finished yet, i could have it finished very soon but im not fitting a standard engine, im going for a much higher spec.
a cheeky pic for you
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/4589/imageklz.jpg

Ive heard you guys make a very tidy job of your conversions and that shell is an exceptional base to build from. So all said and done I think it will be something very smart when complete. On another note Im making a trip to see your pal Vinny tommorow.

Nick.

heds
08-10-11, 10:25 PM
Nope no m32, don't like them. The f28 has proven to be a strong box and reliable and I didn't want the big heavy flywheel setup. And who is 'you guy's ' ? I've done this one myself ;-)

TeddyThom
09-10-11, 08:00 PM
Is Gunny not doing a VXR build??? Or is he using the 1600 corsa VXR lump???

heds
09-10-11, 08:09 PM
hes using the corsa 1.6 mate yeh.

turbojolt
09-10-11, 08:17 PM
why dont anyone ever attempted putting a modern diesel engined nova?

heds
09-10-11, 08:32 PM
in my opinion novas arnt the most comfortable things to drive so if your gonna spend a lot of time fitting a new engine to one its got to be rediculously fast, i wouldnt really want an economical nova, id like something like a big powerful cdti in a mk4 astra maybe a 3.2 v6 cdti ;-) powerful/economical/comfortable.

Johnny A
12-10-11, 08:46 PM
Don't see why people think the Z20LET is crap, I liked my one in my Astra coupe. The turbo's are no weaker than C20LET ones IMO but the underlying issue is the oil pressure on a lot of Z20LET's is high... high enough to wear the turbo bearings out prematurely... I hate the C20LET and Z20LET turbo's equally lol

As for dropping one into a Nova, there isn't much that's done differently. There is an electronic throttle pedal to wire up and install on top of the usual wiring, other than that I can't think of anything else you would do differently.

lomas
12-10-11, 11:46 PM
Nope no m32, don't like them. The f28 has proven to be a strong box and reliable and I didn't want the big heavy flywheel setup. And who is 'you guy's ' ? I've done this one myself ;-)

dont think nick is referring to you heds as your ruff as ****!!! haha