PDA

View Full Version : Helmet for trackdays

stewart_2004
06-10-11, 09:10 PM
Hey all, after doing afew trackdays and getting quite into it I am now looking at getting a helmet does anyone have any recomendations ?

Pistol Pete
06-10-11, 09:38 PM
Buy the best that you can afford. Try a few on. Do you want an open faced one??

stewart_2004
06-10-11, 09:45 PM
hey Pete thats the thing I am undecided about open faced or not thats why I was hoping for other peoples advice on this. currently I have just hired a full face one which was ok.

Pistol Pete
06-10-11, 09:48 PM
I used a full face one and an open faced one. TBH the vision was better with the open faced one.

stewart_2004
06-10-11, 09:49 PM
what makes would you recommend ?

Pistol Pete
06-10-11, 09:51 PM
My open faced one was a cheapo JEBS one. Ebayed it in the end. I use my trusty full face Beiffe now. lol had it since my scooter days when i was 16. Use it for trackdays, karting....

Iain
06-10-11, 09:56 PM
Don't see the point in open face myself. I don't find vision impaired at all with a full face one, and you can use it on the back of your mates motorbikes and kitcars etc.

I got a motorbike one, just went down the local bike clothing store and tried them all on, less than £100 gets you a decent one, job jobbed.

Stuart
06-10-11, 09:58 PM
Get a car helmet.

Sparco/omp do a cheap open face and a slightly more expensive but cheap full face.
BUT some track days now require the blue or red BS markings on the helmets, which pushes you into the £200 realm BUT they are VAT free lol. Frankly the £200 I spent on my lid was well worth it for the handful of times I've used it :)

Pistol Pete
06-10-11, 10:03 PM
Get a car helmet.

Sparco/omp do a cheap open face and a slightly more expensive but cheap full face.
BUT some track days now require the blue or red BS markings on the helmets, which pushes you into the £200 realm BUT they are VAT free lol. Frankly the £200 I spent on my lid was well worth it for the handful of times I've used it :)

Good point this. Mine has the ACU gold label on it, but for car trackdays they might not accept it.

Also there is the old age debate about a car helmet and a bike helmet being designed for different crash situations.

A car helmet may with stand more than one impact, but a bike helmet (as Stuart will tell you ;) lol) only takes one, as in a bike accident you will be killed to death! Although i am proof this not true!

Stuart
06-10-11, 10:23 PM
The lids are designed for different impact areas, hence the 'NO biking' markings inside 99% of car helmets lol.

Iain
06-10-11, 10:25 PM
I went to GPR at Silverstone with a view to buying a car helmet. Not much choice compared to the bike ones, think the cheapest was £150 and was very uncomfortable, to get a comfy good feeling one was £450+.

Stuart
07-10-11, 08:46 AM
I went to GPR at Silverstone with a view to buying a car helmet. Not much choice compared to the bike ones, think the cheapest was £150 and was very uncomfortable, to get a comfy good feeling one was £450+.

GPR do like to put a pretty price tag on things :s
Merlin and Demon Theives are pretty well priced imho

Curtoise
07-10-11, 07:34 PM
tbh i would always get a full face one, dont like the idea of my jaw being obliterated by the steering wheel :s and regards tho vision i would think you would get used to it after abit and just learn to move your head more

Dayle_
08-10-11, 11:13 AM
Peltor, everyday. I've tried the other ones and wouldn't go back. To be fair the price tag is slightly hefty but they are a proper snug fit, Light Weight and in my opinion a proper job. Although it does come with built in intercom (hence pricetag).

Paul
08-10-11, 05:52 PM
The 'one bump' wives tale, is just that utter BS.

That is not what makes a car helmet different to a bike helmet!

Get a bike helmet theyre far cheaper.