PDA

View Full Version : Work dilemma

Pete
06-10-11, 07:34 PM
Stuck in a situation at work and I honestly don't know what's best to do.
I've been there over a year and after a few months of starting my manager was impressed with me and put me on some supervisor training courses,
Ive completed all of them about 2 months ago.

But as I was still doing the courses the company decided to re-structure and made 2 supervisors redundant.
So I'm left with being trained and doing a supervisor job as it is now, but without the money and as much as I appreciate all the experience in the back of my head I think of the extra money I should be on.

Shall I stay and wait for a position to arise or move on to another store?
Place were I currently work is ideal as it's a 2 minute walk to get there.

Jack
06-10-11, 07:42 PM
Have you officially been temp graded in to cover the supervisor work? If so they should either be supplementing your wage whilst you do it, or at least give you a very short term end date for the work

If you haven't officially been tasked to do the role, tell them to shove it lol

Pete
06-10-11, 07:50 PM
Im not on the books as a supervisor, no.

I'm still employed as a CSA (Customer Service Assistant)
But i do ordering, cash, everything a supervisor does.
I would tell them to stick it but at the same time like I say I appreciate all the experience as it'll pay off one day.
The extra pay is almost £2 more an hour so its quite a diffrence

Jackroadkill
06-10-11, 08:20 PM
Ask them to either pay you to do it or advertise the position, in which case you should apply for it and then have a very good chance of being selected.

Bubba
06-10-11, 08:22 PM
Ask them to either pay you to do it or advertise the position, in which case you should apply for it and then have a very good chance of being selected.

or tell them you wont and someone else can do it.

Pete
06-10-11, 08:28 PM
The position isn't there tho, as 2 were made redundant.
So I'm waiting at the moment to see of a position arises, or whether to find a new job.

Spudly
06-10-11, 08:30 PM
They cant make you a supervisor as there isnt a position available, they arent allowed by law for at least twelve months, consider yourself lucky you still have a job, and stop fecking moaning!

mk1nova_rich
06-10-11, 08:43 PM
As unfair as it sounds, just keep your head down and get on with it.

Due to unforeseen circumstances at work, I have gone from having the usual basic responsibilities (safe working etc) to being in sole charge of CNC Turning and having huge amounts of extra responsiliblity dumped on me in terms of organisation and day to day running of our department within the company. My wage is the same, Im just hoping the experience and extra duties will pay off one day.

Pete
06-10-11, 09:04 PM
Spud I know I'm lucky to have a job, but it's far from moaning, I'm after opinions not after idiotic posts..

And Rich, seems the same situation. I'm just banking on all this experience I get from doing the extra work will pay off, whether it's in this job or another. But I hate being taken for granted and I don't want to be stuck in a catch 22 were they'll never think of making me supervisor if im doing the work for the pay I'm on now.

Spudly
06-10-11, 09:10 PM
Thats not an idiotic post, its my opinion, (which is what youre after if im not mistaken) im in a shoite job and on a dire wage so i have two jobs just to make ends meet and im still at home, kinda shows how low paid i am doesnt it!

Pete
06-10-11, 09:17 PM
I understand that people are frustrated that they can't get jobs in this economic downfall, But whilst I'm in a job there's no harm in trying to achieve better for myself, same as anyone else would.

I do apologise for my comment, It just annoys me that people blame others for not having a job or struggling to make ends meet. Everyone wants better for themselves whether it be, getting a new job, promotion, self employed etc.

Spudly
06-10-11, 09:25 PM
Aye i knows what you mean bud, my comment was rather snotty and im sorry for that, i know peeps that have been out of work for ages so dont leave your job till you find somewhere else as you may end up worse!

Pete
06-10-11, 09:28 PM
Water under the bridge hey :)

As for being without, like stated I will always make sure I have something to fall back on as I actualy want to get my nova done in my lifetime lol

Pistol Pete
06-10-11, 09:47 PM
No harm in looking for another position. If there is nothing about, stay put ride it out and you never now.

mowgli
06-10-11, 10:54 PM
pete, i'm a firm believer in the fact that good hard work will always get rewarded....but also that middle managers are the spawn of the devil.

my advice is that maybe you should check with your manager / hr dept to see if there are any promotions or senior positions available in the area. one might be on the cards really close to your store..

but don't rock the boat too much as like people have said, a decent job is difficult to find these days

Southie
06-10-11, 11:02 PM
Keep grafting IMO, you've not been there long but I'm sure you'll get your extra money if you keep at it.

Is there anyone in work that your able to talk to who may have been in a similar situation?

Do you work for a large company or a small one?

mowgli
06-10-11, 11:03 PM
the co-op

scott.parker
06-10-11, 11:06 PM
I to say you need to keep working on, and just ask in a bit if your getting an official increase or pay in line with your position, but do it tactically, not moan..

Southie
06-10-11, 11:10 PM
In that case it depends how big a store it is, if it's like the one up the road from me they only seem to have 10 staff who work there.

I'd just see your manager and have a friendly chat, just don't be over pushy.