PDA

View Full Version : Whining noise where to start?

mattcogg
09-07-03, 11:00 PM
Hi,

I seem to get a whining noise from the front of my car especially when hitting speeds of 60mph. To be honest I suppose it could be a 101 things but I wondered if anyone could help me narrow what could be wrong. Am I right in saying it could be CV joint or possibly the bearings. How can I tell easily what it is? I have 15's would that make it worse? Would a tyre place be able to help? Any advice?

Matt :D :D :D

Gazza14SR
09-07-03, 11:24 PM
if you said when you pull off it makes this sound then it might of been your fan belt slipping but at the speed you say i dont know.

best to double check the fan belt though.

DUNOVA.
10-07-03, 02:55 AM
Could be bearings sound very similar but mine was the rear

Dicko
10-07-03, 09:44 AM
female in passenger seat :P

more likely wheel bearing, does it get louder if you go round a slight bend?

SKoob
10-07-03, 11:47 AM
it'll be ur wheel bearings, mine r getting quite bad, so i gotta get mine done. Its an MOT failure noisy wheel bearings :?

Ben (lurk75)
10-07-03, 05:16 PM
Matt

I would say probably your bearings too, as your wheels are the wrong offset it will increase the strain on them etc.

Jack one side the car up and wobble the wheel backwards and forwards to see if there is any play there.

mattcogg
11-07-03, 10:30 AM
Thanks guys!

I think it could be bearings too! I remember my bearings went on my other novas too for a past time but always on the rear though. Is there a chance it could be the CV joint or is it a case of replace bearings first and then see what happens? How long would it take to change wheel bearings is it a DIY job?

Thanks again

Matt :D :D :D

burgessovsalford
11-07-03, 04:15 PM
When the CV has gone it only tends to make noise when you are turning your car round or have it on full lock.

If its making whining noise while driving straight then its 99% bearings.