PDA

View Full Version : knockhill 2/10/11 my first track drive

marc69
03-10-11, 11:26 PM
Took my standard 1.3 to knockhill on sunday, I had put 185 tyres on and stripped the interior. Being in Scotland it rained and so the track was wet.

The 185s and Sr suspension did hold me on most of the time, a few twitches and I did go off the track once, but safely with no damage.

The 1.3 engine is ok but I had to drive it really hard, basically between 4000 and 6000 rpm to keep the second barrel in the carb open, I was very aware that my car was so much smaller than everyone else's!

Despite the fact my car was standard so was therfore slower and not comparable for cornering, the other drivers on the track (including evos etc) seemed tolerant of a smaller car, and no-one came up after each session and told me to get off!

I really enjoyed it, but won't be doing it in that car again for a few reasons,
the car is too good to be driven like that, it seems unscathed this time
Safety...I think a rollcage etc is a must
Improved cornering and speed, I obviously now need to start looking for a cheap track car!

Kev was there and was helpful as a guide, company and later in the day after I decided I had held up others enough and therefore wasn't going on again, I sat with him as passenger.

He did try to kill us a few times but, he did manage each time to skillfully bring the car back in control.

There was a white nova van with two lads, they did well and I saw a 4 door loon which was fairly fast too.

Anyway, it was great fun, I think everyone should try it, lots of concentration, rememebr all the rules of that track and go..............

moffat
04-10-11, 07:14 PM
sounds like you had a great time fella, wish id gone up now lol