PDA

View Full Version : any bikers???

1990GTEBOY
03-10-11, 06:21 PM
hi all i have been thinking about getting a bike for a while now ! i know its not the best time of year to start riding so will be waiting until the spring :mad: the only thing is what would the restrictions be for a 20 year old with full uk car driving license and a cbt test i have been told and read so many different things i dont know where id stand as regards buying a bike !

cheers in advance for any advice guys .

thinking aprillia rs125 ?maybe lol lol

Lewis.
03-10-11, 06:45 PM
on your licence you can ride a 125 on L plates. you can do your direct access when you're 21, then you can ride anything. or you can do you A1 restricted licence now, and ride anything <33bhp for 2 years.

unfortunately you're at the age when it's not worth doing your A1, as you will have to wait untill you're 22 to ride unrestricted, so you may as well wait a year untill you're 21 and do your direct access. I did my A1 when I was 17, so could ride anything at 19, which was handy, but at your age it's a bit awkward.

if it was me, I'd ride a 125 on L's untill I were 21, then do my direct access.

only get an RS125 if you like doing top end rebuilds lol (queue the 'you're wrong' brigade lol) Honda NSR125's are cracking little bikes (early round lamp ones, not the later foxeye ones) and the engines are much stronger than the RS. failing that, consider a 125 trail bike, Honda XL125 or similar, it will teach you a lot before you get on something big next year

1990GTEBOY
03-10-11, 07:09 PM
thanks for the quick reply i have not done my cbt yet but hoping to crack on with it soon . like you say i was going to wait until i was 21 and go for a bigger bike as i am not the smallest person in the world, 6ft 5 and 18 stone wont be much fun an a small bike . however the youth at work has just done his cbt and got a moped (or sick ped) as he calls it , playing about on that has really started the juices flowing for me lol

love em
03-10-11, 07:20 PM
i had a cagiva mito 125 and it seemed bullet proof as it never broke down , just let em warm up , i had this at about 110 and find them alot better than rs125 , bandits are good first bikes if you pass your test (lots of fun) but i agree with the other guy i would wait till your 21 and in this time i would do theory and so on ready

Pistol Pete
03-10-11, 07:38 PM
Don't do it...lol mowgli and the other two wheeled haters will hunt you down lol
I'm a biker....well ex biker. Big accident means I am forced to give 2 wheels a wide berth (misses etc)

That aside, get your test done. The sense of freedom is better than a car hands down.

1990GTEBOY
03-10-11, 07:41 PM
Don't do it...lol mowgli and the other two wheeled haters will hunt you down lol

lmfao . i was waiting for something like thislollollol

1990GTEBOY
03-10-11, 07:41 PM

lmfao . i was waiting for something like this lollollol

Lewis.
03-10-11, 08:06 PM
ignore the bike haters, they don't understand it lol

when are you 21? i's still recommend doing your CBT and riding a 125 for a bit, even if it;s nothing special/fast, it will teacj you a lot in terms of bike road craft, as it really is so different from driving a car, as you need to look so much harder on a bike than in a car, you'll find you will notice a penny in the road at 100 yards on a bike, notice changes in road surface and drain covers on corners you never noticed before and looking much further ahead. i'm glad i learned all this on small bikes before I got a proper bike (geared 50cc at 16, got my first real bike, CBR400 at 18) as it can all go so wrong, so quickly.

Stuart
03-10-11, 08:09 PM
If you dont wear leathers/protective clothing (ALL OVER, not just a helmet and jacket) then I have zero sympathy for when you fall off and hurt yourself :p

Lewis.
03-10-11, 08:11 PM
If you dont wear leathers/protective clothing (ALL OVER, not just a helmet and jacket) then I have zero sympathy for when you fall off and hurt yourself :p

looking like a power ranger FTW lol although in most cases its the sudden stop against a tree/kerb/wall/lorry that kills you. the leathers are just a tailored body bag then :(

1990GTEBOY
03-10-11, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=Lewis.;1932407]ignore the bike haters, they don't understand it lol

when are you 21?

not until may :mad::mad: as you have confirmed i thought it would be wise to get some practice on a smaller more controllable bike before attempting to ride anything with serious power cheers for all the advice mate:thumb:

1990GTEBOY
03-10-11, 08:26 PM

i will be wearing everything i should be "when " i fall off ! thanks for the vote of confidence though :thumb:

Stuart
03-10-11, 08:31 PM
Also worth a note, you can hit the back of a car and only have a 50/50 fault was opposed to full fault like you should.... GRRRRRRRR poxy power rangers on 125cc 'sports bikes' lol

1990GTEBOY
03-10-11, 08:37 PM
would i be right in thinking you are not a fan of bikes/bikers ?

MK999
03-10-11, 08:38 PM
looking like a power ranger FTW lol although in most cases its the sudden stop against a tree/kerb/wall/lorry that kills you. the leathers are just a tailored body bag then :(

Keeps the roads tidy!

Stuart
03-10-11, 08:39 PM
correct. Never have been and even less of a fan since one decided to park in the back of the VX and then managed to get a 50/50 from it.... CNUT. Plus the lovely display of biker douchebaggery yesterday as they were all on their way to a precious bike show in Ipswich.

Lewis.
03-10-11, 08:42 PM
Also worth a note, you can hit the back of a car and only have a 50/50 fault was opposed to full fault like you should.... GRRRRRRRR poxy power rangers on 125cc 'sports bikes' lol

You're totally right Stuart, It should be full fault, none of this 50/50 fault rubbish.

I assume you're referring to the common phenomenon of cars pulling out in front of bikes, yes? car drivers should take responsibility for their actions too

Keeps the roads tidy!

we're a considerate lot really lol

1990GTEBOY
03-10-11, 08:46 PM
lol and you never notice any car drivers being grade a cnuts when driving ? its not the vehicle its the driver/rider ! theres never any showoff ars***les at car shows !lol

Stuart
03-10-11, 08:46 PM
You're totally right Stuart, It should be full fault, none of this 50/50 fault rubbish.

I assume you're referring to the common phenomenon of cars pulling out in front of bikes, yes? car drivers should take responsibility for their actions too

not when I'm perpendicular to the traffic flow and the front wheels are just on the white lines of the junction I'm pulling into ;) thats full flat out fault according to me and everyone I've spoken to, but because it was a bike the courts go in their favour in all cases for some reason :( giving you lot even more ammo to ride like tools and not worry about the consequences

love em
03-10-11, 08:48 PM
abit of advise is allways keep your gloves in your helmet that way you never forget them in the hot weather because them and boots are a defo , honda cg125 are great for first bikes as they are very forgiving and reliable (4stroke) , just keep your eyes in your back side and you will be fine.
i agree with the guy that says you will notice more , you do , when going at about 60ish which isnt that fast really, just glance at the floor where your front wheel is it looks like a cheese grator.
watch out for oil ,painted lines ,manhole covers, wet leafs and the gravel that the council put down and call new road surface
good luck mate and sorry for my poo spelling

1990GTEBOY
03-10-11, 08:48 PM

lollollollollollollollollollollol

thanks for the advice love em !

Connor
03-10-11, 08:51 PM
i want a bike :(

Lewis.
03-10-11, 08:52 PM
not when I'm perpendicular to the traffic flow and the front wheels are just on the white lines of the junction I'm pulling into ;) thats full flat out fault according to me and everyone I've spoken to, but because it was a bike the courts go in their favour in all cases for some reason :( giving you lot even more ammo to ride like tools and not worry about the consequences

your description of what happened just makes it sound like you turned right infront of him lol sorry, what happened?

Lewis.
03-10-11, 08:53 PM

good chap, you can stay lol

love em
03-10-11, 08:54 PM
get one mate they are alot better than cars, i sold my nova too get mine adn would never swap back and my nova was worth more than my bike

Stuart
03-10-11, 08:56 PM
your description of what happened just makes it sound like you turned right infront of him lol sorry, what happened?
If I had just turned infront of IT, then there would be damage down the side of the car, it was only over the rear as the **** bounced off after 'filtering' (driving down the wrong side of the road in heavy traffic).... Also if I was such an evil ******* and he was soooo innocent, why did he failt to supply info to his insurance company so they had to pay out without prejudice ;)

1990GTEBOY
03-10-11, 08:58 PM
:( giving you lot even more ammo to ride like tools and not worry about the consequences[/QUOTE]

id put hitting a car to the back of my mind and worry more about hitting the deck at speed and sliding into a solid object ! imo that would be the more worrying consequences of riding like an ass ! i dont even have a bike yet and in already prepared for people like you to hate me lollollol

Stuart
03-10-11, 08:59 PM
I do let you guys pass........ when there is a lorry coming the other way :p lol

1990GTEBOY
03-10-11, 09:00 PM

join the club lol stay away from stuart all you bikers ! he doesnt like you lol