PDA

View Full Version : overheating problems

meritvalver
03-10-11, 01:47 PM
Alright guys i need some help, not strictly for my nova but hopefully someone can help.
I have bought a mk3 astra van so i an take my xe nova of the road for a bare shell rebuild, but i got the van cheap with an overheating problem off a mate. Its a gm lump btw :eek: . There is no water in the oil or oil in water but it boils up. there is a problem with the heater matrix too....it leaks into drivers footwell and blows steam lol . I was maybe thinking that its not a head or gasket problem but maybe the matrix causing it to overheat?? any ideas will help i need it sorted this week........

brainsnova
03-10-11, 01:51 PM
Join the 2 matrix pipes together and see if it cures it as it might be losing heat and not allowing the thermostat to kick in

meritvalver
03-10-11, 01:55 PM
yeah thats my plan for today, hoping it wil cure it as i only paid scrap so will be a very chep and very clean van if it does lol. i also have a mate who has a mk3 estate for bangers an i can have the matrix outa that. its a petrol tho so will it be different?

mowgli
03-10-11, 02:04 PM
as the cooling system is pressurized, having a leak anywhere will cause it to boil up. swapping the matrix should sort it straight away.

meritvalver
03-10-11, 02:28 PM
haha awesome!!! i got it scrap as i said could be cracked head and a big fix lol. cheers mate

meritvalver
06-10-11, 10:42 AM
right......i bypassed the matrix and ran it up for half an hour and it seemed fine. took it for a drive though and it boiled up. So i took the thermostat out....still boiling! No signs of headgasket fail or running problems apart from this. Next step is to flush the rad or see if blocked but has anyone else got any ideas now??? I need this on the road asap, the nova is dying.....i lost to a 106 rallye last night :-( shes not happy at all my manifold was glowin an also loosing 3rd. bad times so help please guys!

stevenf
06-10-11, 10:50 AM
is the water pump working properly?