PDA

View Full Version : Misfiring let vid

Jeff16v
02-10-11, 08:45 PM
Please listen to vid and make suggestions of thing to check.
Struggles to start, when it does it's misfiring and eventually cuts out.
Grateful for any help
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee77/gsijeff/99415735.mp4

Southie
02-10-11, 08:48 PM
Cannot see a Vid Jeff, I take it you've used the video link that doesn't work on iPhones :(

andy_mk3
02-10-11, 08:51 PM
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee77/gsijeff/99415735.mp4

Vid not working, took the link from the quote tho

Jeff16v
02-10-11, 08:52 PM
Cannot see a Vid Jeff, I take it you've used the video link that doesn't work on iPhones :(

doh, cheers

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee77/gsijeff/th_99415735.jpg (http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee77/gsijeff/?action=view&current=99415735.mp4)

Christ
02-10-11, 09:56 PM
have you got correct fuel pressure? My car although not a let, was taking ages to start and then running like ****, turned out the fuel pump was on its way out. It would start in the end, and it got better as it warmed up for some reason but it would missfire and bog down at idle.

Will F
03-10-11, 08:22 AM
Cant see vid - but if its misfiring, I assume you have checked the normal things - leads/plugs/coil/dizzy?

Failing that - do a compression test if you havent already.

Could be anything.

Jeff16v
03-10-11, 08:22 PM
Cant see vid - but if its misfiring, I assume you have checked the normal things - leads/plugs/coil/dizzy?

Failing that - do a compression test if you havent already.

Could be anything.

Currently running hrough tests, would you by chance have an afm and let coil floating about Will?

joff-turbo-nova
03-10-11, 08:27 PM
Try airflow meter as a first port of call .... or maybe throttle position sensor/switch on the side of the throttle body.

Joff

Southie
03-10-11, 08:38 PM
You've probably checked but are you getting any fault codes?

Have you checked for any air leaks?

Jeff16v
03-10-11, 08:42 PM
Cheers Joff, trying to sort afm at the mo.
Southie, no lights but I think the bulb has blown, clocks out tomorrow, I don't have the diag plugs on my loom but I think I can just earth the Cable to flash the codes!
Can get the bugger to Start at all now!!

Southie
03-10-11, 08:46 PM
Your plugs are probably covered in fuel, wip them out and give them a quick check over.

What clocks have you got btw?

Lee H
03-10-11, 08:52 PM
Could the ECU have got damp at all with the car being stood?

Tried earthing the engine straight to the battery with a jump lead to rule out engine earths?

Will F
04-10-11, 08:24 AM
Dont have a spare AFM, but have a coil. Dont touch the TPS just yet - it wont be that anyway tbh.
AFMs do tend to be a bit of a weak spot on these, but not enough for them not to run. Check teh pipe (inlet side) work too - if one's come off it wont run

Mazz
04-10-11, 10:05 AM
Southie, no lights but I think the bulb has blown, clocks out tomorrow, I don't have the diag plugs on my loom but I think I can just earth the Cable to flash the codes!

On my early XE, I just touch the brown/yellow from the green plug to earth to flash the codes..

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/mrmazz/Nova/CIMG5802_Small.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/mrmazz/Nova/CIMG5801_Small.jpg

Jeff16v
04-10-11, 10:30 AM
Your plugs are probably covered in fuel, wip them out and give them a quick check over.

What clocks have you got btw?
Will check plugs condiftion today and post pics
6 dial gsi clocks

Could the ECU have got damp at all with the car being stood?

Tried earthing the engine straight to the battery with a jump lead to rule out engine earths?
ECU perfectly dry its sits on the raised bits of the shelf to keep it dry, tried earthing engine, gearbox etc straight to battery,think i will bridge an extra earth to another in my fleet to check again. cheers

Dont have a spare AFM, but have a coil. Dont touch the TPS just yet - it wont be that anyway tbh.
AFMs do tend to be a bit of a weak spot on these, but not enough for them not to run. Check teh pipe (inlet side) work too - if one's come off it wont run
one of the reasons i'm thinking coil\afm is because the vents were off for a while and although i covered the coil and afm with bags, the may still have absorbed condensation. It cuts out completly when afm is disconnect.
Will, any chance i can get that coil\amp sent down?

[QUOTE=Mazz;1932584]On my early XE, I just touch the brown/yellow from the green plug to earth to flash the codes..

cheers Mazz, i though it was something yellow. Will try later.

Just to clarify what has happened so far.
I took the inlet off to replace a core plug in the back of the head.
While is was all off, i painted the inlet\tophat\alternator\ICV\throttle bracket and polished the fuel rail. replaced all the injector o rings after finding a leak on one.
when i tried to start it, fuel wasn't getting to the rail for ages on cranking so I ran the pump constantly to pressurise the rail.

That turned into relacing the pump to engine copper feed as the old one was leaking a bit.
Sometimes is startes, other times s doesn't.

I spoke to Paul on saturday and it seems i had the ICV and Knock plugs round the wrong way and Steveboyslim confirmed that the red plug on the miniloom is 150%Knock sensor which I have now swapped over. The problem hasn't changed at all with this swap over.

I have repaired the Hall sensor connections as they were damaged as well as repairing the Tank vent valve and miniloom connections with crimp stryle connections.

I've got the afternoon off and have charged the battery to carry on checking this afternoon.

Will F
05-10-11, 09:43 AM
Pm me mate re teh coil.

Have you got a strong spak and fuel to teh rail then?

Jonlem
05-10-11, 09:59 AM
What happened to the head to require a new core plug ? its not cracked due to no coolant has it ?

Check the voltage at the pump, infact check anything earth or live related.

Everything else has already been mentioned

Jeff16v
05-10-11, 12:07 PM
Pm me mate re teh coil.

Have you got a strong spak and fuel to teh rail then?

Cheers Will, will probably still get a coil off you as i polished mine and its rusty now. - read below for update

What happened to the head to require a new core plug ? its not cracked due to no coolant has it ? - see below

Check the voltage at the pump, infact check anything earth or live related.

Everything else has already been mentioned

An update on this
replaced blown eml light - got the following yesterday
31-crank
57-Icv
61-vent valve
71-air temp
95-hot start

check cables for all and found some broken ones and bodged to test. i'm only left with 57 - ICV and an ICV is en-route.

both Air intake wires broke right on the connector as did 2 of the hall sensor wires and 1 tank vent valve.

Also some of the initial running problems was down to me connecting the red plug on the miniloom to the ICV rather than the knock sensor. (i'm sure i read somewhere that the red one was ICV)
Managed to get her to work for the first time in 5 months without braking down, except i forgot to tighten the battery connections, but can't really count that as braking down.

Jonlem - The head coolant issue was a 19mm core plug on the back of the coscast head, it was weeping and when i poked it with a screwdriver ended up being knackered, obviously whoever had the engine before me didn't bother much with coolant and just used rusty water. lol

Thanks to everyone that contributed to helping me in this thread.:thumb:

Will F
06-10-11, 08:23 AM
ICV prob wouldnt cause it not to start...

Jeff16v
06-10-11, 08:24 AM
ICV prob wouldnt cause it not to start...
Will, it's all running now, lots of broken wires mate. Only got Icv problem to solve now.