PDA

View Full Version : Steering rack

Jake-boy
29-09-11, 07:38 PM
Hi,
im new here and have had my nova for 4 months.

i have just been told that i need a new steering rack... :cry:

i live in the south (near gatwick airport) and basically would like to know where i can pick one up. my nova is a 1.2L and its an 'F' reg...

any help would be greatfully receved.

Jake.

also i did some search's and coudnt find what i was looking for.

Iain
29-09-11, 07:42 PM
Sutton Auto Factors (my local motor factors) sorted me a recon one out for less than £30 on an exchange basis.

I think their website is BuyPartsBy.com so check it out and see if you can do it via mail order.

wwmnw
29-09-11, 07:57 PM
Got one off ebay myself, cant remember exactly how much but it was about the £30 mark too.

Jake-boy
29-09-11, 10:07 PM
also, do i need a one thats come of a 1.2? and the same year?
or can i just get a MK1 Nova Steering rack?

Jake.

Iain
29-09-11, 10:21 PM
I think all Nova racks are the same, 1.0 to 1.6, mk1 and mk2.

Do you know what the problem is? There's a tension nut you could try tightening to remove play inside it, and changing a rack arm is probably easier than changing the whole rack.

mowgli
29-09-11, 10:25 PM
if you want an upgrade, you could get a corse b epas rack & swap the rods & ends over off your nova one. you end up with a factory quick rack for little money

Jake-boy
29-09-11, 10:34 PM
I think all Nova racks are the same, 1.0 to 1.6, mk1 and mk2.

Do you know what the problem is? There's a tension nut you could try tightening to remove play inside it, and changing a rack arm is probably easier than changing the whole rack.

Hey,
im not brilliant with cars so not a clue about any of it.

basically the guys jacked it up, wiggled the wheels, listened for the squeeky noise and shook the rack about and then held the wheels and turned the steering wheel.
then bassicly told me it was F*cked... :( dont want my first car to die yet...

Mowgli- not really looking for an upgrade really.. just wanna drive the car to work and back.