PDA

View Full Version : At what point does and SRI/GSI need remaping

NADUK
28-09-11, 05:34 PM
Hi, just looking at tuning options for the C14SE and C16SE engines. Will head work and cams see decent gains without mapping or is it a must? How well does the standard ECU work with them in regards to fueling?

mowgli
28-09-11, 05:43 PM
they are so basic that they don't really have a map..... you can get the later ones chipped.

craig green
28-09-11, 11:18 PM
C14 & C16 is the later ones.
I'm not sure what options there are for a re-map tbh, You might be able to get a chip on ebay, pretty sure EDS or MTECH did a chip for these. Should still be good for 125+ if you have done all the motor tuning (filter, exhaust & 4 branch, cam & big valve headwork). 125/130bhp used to be the max in terms of bolt on tuning with the std injection systems.

Will F
29-09-11, 08:22 AM
C14 & C16 is the later ones.
I'm not sure what options there are for a re-map tbh, You might be able to get a chip on ebay, pretty sure EDS or MTECH did a chip for these. Should still be good for 125+ if you have done all the motor tuning (filter, exhaust & 4 branch, cam & big valve headwork). 125/130bhp used to be the max in terms of bolt on tuning with the std injection systems.

I think that may be a bit optimistic - with std inlet and management (a 'chip' isnt a mod imo) you will struggle passed 115 bhp. The group N (?) cars used to get over the 120 mark with aftermarket management though...

NADUK
29-09-11, 08:03 PM
What I meant was how far will those mods be worth it as in how much will the standard ECU self learn etc. Obviously with Carbs, you tune those, with the injection not so easy, so just wondering how much is worth doing before a remap, cams headwork etc etc

Thanks

Nad

phazer
29-09-11, 08:30 PM
The ECU does run a full fuel and ignition map but it has no self learning. The most you can do is swap the RON plug round for 98Ron fuel.

The ECU's are not mappable like modern ECU's, they need a chip programming and the existing one replacing. It's not worth it though, if you're intent on modding the engine look at a second hand aftermarket ECU like a DTA E48 or similar. It's probably the best option long term as you can easily have it tweaked as you mod more items or even swap to carbs or throttle bodies.

NADUK
29-09-11, 08:43 PM
The reason I don't want to go to aftermarket ECU is that I don't want to throw money at a run around. It is currently a C14SE that needs rebuilding. Now, on the market are other engines with headwork, cams etc but I would still want to run injection and standard ECU, so what will see gains on these standard items and what won't.

Will headwork and cams see gains or is the standard injection setup going to hold them back. I understand an aftermarket ECU would make more use of them but that is besides the point. I have an Evo as a fast car, I just want a nippy runaround and need to best decide where to spend the money, on a rebuild or a little more on something modded, if it will make sufficient extra power.

phazer
29-09-11, 09:01 PM
Headwork and cams will make a difference, increasing the engine breathing can be accomodated to a small degree by the map sensor and lambda. You won't get amazing results but if you're doing it yourself you've got less to lose, as in you won't have a large labour bill. One thing to be careful of is that you don't make it gutless low down as you don't want to be bouncing off the limiter to make it feel fast lol

I understand what you're trying to do, but is a C16SE out of the question, they have the legs on the 1.4 by quite a way IME to start with.

John
29-09-11, 09:18 PM
it would be interesting to see what a "chip" would actually alter. I have considered this when doing my c14se build.

Stuart
29-09-11, 09:24 PM
Imho all the 'chip' will do is raise the rev limiter and over fuel..... probably good if you want to turbo it lol

phazer
29-09-11, 09:46 PM
Yep, the standard off the shelf jobs would be rubbish. I wonder if anyone is able to emulate the ECU and live map it? It would be very expensive but it'd be interesting to see what could be done.