PDA

View Full Version : GtE fLy WhEeL WeIgHt??

kempy
27-09-11, 06:56 PM
Okie dokies so iv been after a gte flywheel for my x16xe but have found out that my mate can lighten my standard one for me....shweet.
The problem i have now is, how much to take off to make it the same weight as a gte flywheel??

Help please??

Southie
27-09-11, 07:01 PM
If he knows what he's doing then surely he'll know how much to take off, otherwise just buy a gte one IMO.

MK999
27-09-11, 07:43 PM
The lack of the word "balance" in that post makes it a fail, avoid your mate and his angle grinder/wonky lathe imo.

kempy
27-09-11, 07:44 PM
Well no because the promblem is we dont know the actual weight of a gte flywheel!?
Plus when its a freebee, why pay out for a new clutch, pressure plate n flywheel.

Mike
27-09-11, 07:48 PM
I will be first to LOL when your all new fly wheel shatters into a billion pieces shredding the gearbox casing & removing itself and the gearbox from your engine at 6krpm.

Look at the pictures in the thread below very carefully... if it can rip straight through a steel bonnet, imagine what its gonna do to your legs if comes through the bulkhead.

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/engines-transmission/315272-how-much-get-xe-flywheel-lighten.html

Southie
27-09-11, 07:53 PM
Seriously just buy one and it saves you from being paranoid everytime your giving it big licks ;)

Safety first.

kempy
27-09-11, 07:54 PM
The lack of the word "balance" in that post makes it a fail, avoid your mate and his angle grinder/wonky lathe imo.

I hope it aint an angle grinder/wonky lathe he use's others redbull f1's in troublelol

MK999
27-09-11, 07:54 PM
Can't remember what series it was now but a perfectly balanced and lightened flywheel (I.E not a pikey in a shed job that isn't even balanced) failed on a race car. Tore through a gear casing (higher spec than standard obviously) any engine parts/linkages in the way, a bonnet, flew around 5m or so in the air and lodged itself half way into a pedestrian footbridge, which IIRC was steel.

In a Nova/similar FWD car, this is pointed directly at your gf/mate/passenger, and the mess it makes when it tears through the bulkhead and then through their chest will most definitely cause you to wonder WTF you were thinking cutting corners.

MK999
27-09-11, 07:57 PM
I hope it aint an angle grinder/wonky lathe he use's others redbull f1's in troublelol

Redbull F1 don't build their engines, Renault do, reckon they have a proper crank/fly balancing machine, or do you think they come in already balanced and neglect the need for 500k of machinery to be sat around?

In fact Red Bull F1 don't build anything at all, Red Bull Technology do.

Mike
27-09-11, 07:58 PM

Anyone can use a fcuking lathe*, there a peice a piss to operate. But when it comes to working to strict tolerance, weight & inertia balance, not "anyone" can do that.

*Smug time ~ I have an NVQ & City & Guilds that says I can, amognst other awesome steel fabrication machinery to boot :p

MK999
27-09-11, 08:00 PM
Anyone can use a fcuking lathe*, there a peice a piss to operate. But when it comes to working to strict tolerance, weight & inertia balance, not "anyone" can do that.

*Smug time ~ I have an NVQ & City & Guilds that says I can, amognst other awesome steel fabrication machinery to boot :p

More than that Mike, you don't even balance a flywheel on a lathe.

You need one of these things or similar: http://www.rolandalsop.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5:hines-dominator-crankshaft-balancing-machine&catid=2:our-workshop-machinery&Itemid=6

Mike
27-09-11, 08:02 PM
More than that Mike, you don't even balance a flywheel on a lathe.

You need one of these things or similar: http://www.rolandalsop.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5:hines-dominator-crankshaft-balancing-machine&catid=2:our-workshop-machinery&Itemid=6

Yeah I know, I wasnt saying you can balance it on one lol TBH even if you could I wouldnt want to stand anywhere near it whilst doing it lol lol

Ive seen what happens when a chuck key exits a lathe at high rpm, wouldnt want to be in the same building if it was a flywheel :eek:

Southie
27-09-11, 08:02 PM
http://goofygifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/funny-celebrity-mario-redbull.gif

MK999
27-09-11, 08:03 PM
Yeah I know, I wasnt saying you can balance it on one lol TBH even if you could I wouldnt want to stand anywhere near it whilst doing it lol lol

Ive seen what happens when a chuck key exits a lathe at high rpm, wouldnt want to be in the same building if it was a flywheel :eek:

exactly, think the only way you could balance on a lathe is have it running on a flexible link somehow so the heaviest bit flies further out, which would be sketchy as fcuk lol

Mike
27-09-11, 08:06 PM
exactly, think the only way you could balance on a lathe is have it running on a flexible link somehow so the heaviest bit flies further out, which would be sketchy as fcuk lol

Fcuk that :S

MK999
27-09-11, 08:07 PM
I'll take the little rotational balance thing that tells you where and how deep to drill to 0.x of a degree and 0.0x of a mm myself lol

edit: Big and seriously fcuking expensive rotational etc etc*

Andy
27-09-11, 08:20 PM
Why did i see the thread title and instantly KNEW it would be a thread of fail lol

kempy
27-09-11, 08:32 PM
Okayyy cool stuff dude. Im a carpenter that will give most things a go but for the precise reason of 'strict tolrence' i put my trust in others that "say" they can do the job...and i hope for my sake he can.

As much as i appreciate the concern with lack of trust in my mates abilitys, the mater of my question is still at hand...

Anyone know the weight of a standard gte flywheel??

mowgli
27-09-11, 08:33 PM
i have seen a rover v8 spit its flywheel out on the stebbe straight at mallory...and a tractor puller with 2 top fuel dragster engines blow its flywheel out at stoneleigh..... it is actually quite scary

Southie
27-09-11, 08:57 PM
iirc it's 7.4kg for the flywheel as standard.

Email Colin Smith (colinesmith@aol.com) though as he may have a flywheel kicking about that he can put on his electric scales to confirm this.

Andy
27-09-11, 09:04 PM
Better still just buy one off him!

Southie
27-09-11, 09:07 PM
He obviously wants Vettel doing it Andy.

Mike
27-09-11, 09:15 PM
He obviously wants Vettel doing it Andy.

I heard his touch alone add's ten horsepower. Also takes 5 seconds off per lap if he gives you a reach around.

Southie
27-09-11, 09:24 PM
Vettel will never overtake from pole and you know it, well maybe lap a few lol

turbojolt
27-09-11, 09:37 PM
Never revised how dangerous a fly wheel could be I don't think i would ever have one on the cheap after seeing them pictures geez