PDA

View Full Version : valve stem oil seals?

t40nova
26-09-11, 04:53 PM
ok here goes lol,well i have blue smoke coming from the exhaust when i boot the car it smokes like mad. if i let the revs built up slowly it doesnt smoke bt as soon as i boot it i get loads ive noticed it smokes more if i lay off the pedal and boot it.the car had been sitting for 8 years so im thinking the seals have dried up and cracked?? any ideas would b appreciated.aslo if it is the seals what size would i need it has a 1.6 8v on a 1.4 bottom end :)

mowgli
26-09-11, 04:56 PM
They are standard on all small block 8v engines.

t40nova
26-09-11, 05:01 PM
thanks mate good to know :) does it sound like the seals are away too you? i dnt really know much about that side of things.

swedge
26-09-11, 05:07 PM
ive had a car where the stem seals were away on them and would smoke quite a bit on the over run and only slightly on throttle

mowgli
26-09-11, 05:08 PM
thanks mate good to know :) does it sound like the seals are away too you? I dnt really know much about that side of things.

i had valve seals go, but only on the over run.. Under power, i'd be thinking more like rings

swedge
26-09-11, 05:17 PM
yeah it only slightly smoke on the throttle but think that was just oil from the stem seals burning away as it stopped after a couple secs

definitely sounds like the stem seals though

if you buy a full gasket set youll get the stem seals with it

t40nova
26-09-11, 05:56 PM
no harm in doing the seals then just needed a second opinion lol just hope it cures it,my first nova and my god im hooked lol despite a few hick ups but hey its worth it,thanks guys much appreciated :)

binty2k8
27-09-11, 04:33 PM
hink i.got the same problem to.be honest its get fixed and.im get a vw again.only.had it a week.and.its broke hady.mk2 golf.2 year and.never missed a beat

swedge
27-09-11, 04:46 PM
good excuse to do the headgasket

Southie
27-09-11, 05:09 PM
i had valve seals go, but only on the over run.. Under power, i'd be thinking more like rings
/\/\/\/\/\ This.