PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 mile tips advice?

Nobby
25-09-11, 12:14 PM
Alright guys, im looking to start taking 1/4miles abit more serious in my v6 lol right got a few silly questions -

1. What size rear tyres/wheels are best to use? im pondering on 13" steels with thin ish tyres ie 155/165 etc or 195/60/15s on alloy cesaros?

2. Thinking of taking my headlamp out cus im cool to aid cold air feed but wouldnt that cause more drag with the air entering the engine bay?

3. After speaking to david dixon we talked about launching at 2k and i di and ran a better time do most of you do this?

any more help,tips, advise appreciated

Spudly
25-09-11, 12:23 PM
The theory is probably miles different but my mate used to do drag times in a tuned ren 5 turbo and he used to run about 10psi in the front wheels and would set off full throttle in second gear, said it elimintated any wheelspin and always got him off the line faster than the other driver, as said thats turbo so the theory might not be the same for n/a!

Mike
25-09-11, 12:34 PM
Skinny as fook rear wheels as oppose to 6"+ alloys. Higher rear end the better (obviously not tractor styling it > on accerleration weight transfers to the rear thus losing front end traction, results in more spin, less go. Well thats the theory anyway....).

Personally Ive always launched at just under 2 grand. After years of traffic light grand prix's it just seemed to work better.

With regards to headlight, that kinda thing relates to total frontal mass & drag coficency blah blah, all geeky type motorsport wind tunnel related tosh for smart people basically. In theory you could get less drag with removed headlights, in reality, who knows (and who cares lol).

Your probably better off revising your gear ratios with relation to in gear accerleration IMO as Nova's are about as aerodynamic as a cheese & ham toastie.

Alex J
25-09-11, 12:38 PM
600 shot of NOZ yo!!!!

Mike
25-09-11, 12:39 PM
600 shot of NOZ yo!!!!

That'll blow the welds on teh intake for sure!

Spudly
25-09-11, 12:44 PM
IMO as Nova's are about as aerodynamic as a block of flats

Edited for a more accurate description lol

Alex J
25-09-11, 12:46 PM
id NOZ it, im not sure now much you could put pump into a v6 without it blowing up, but that would were id put my money.

Nobby
25-09-11, 12:48 PM
will be a 75 shot after xmas

Mike
25-09-11, 12:49 PM
id NOZ it, im not sure now much you could put pump into a v6 without it blowing up, but that would were id put my money.

This. Complete kits can be had for a steal now.

My 5lb kit consisting of bottle, brackets, lines, both pulsiods, single crossfire injector (as oppose to x4 that I need) & digital controller + wiring harness came in at £200 second hand.

Only downside is crossfire injectors are £45 each, gets expensive when you need four :S

And then obviously the extra bits bump up the price, B&M button shifter, WOT switch, relays (pence, but still cost something) etc etc.

Alex J
25-09-11, 12:49 PM
will be a 75 shot after xmas:d

Nobby
25-09-11, 12:55 PM
You still got that kit mike?

Mike
25-09-11, 12:58 PM
You still got that kit mike?

Yeah still got both, although sold the 11lb bottle recently in favour of two 5lb's. One in car, other to keep full for when first one runs out lol

PJ Motorsport do nitrous refills aswell (By me, about ten mins from Chase Gate, Cannock). Depending on where you go it costs between £3~£4 per lb of refill.

Edit: If you do buy a kit, dont bother with this purge valve BS, they just vent N2O straight to atmosphere & basically completly piss xxx psi of bottle contents/pressure/£££ in looking cool.

Nobby
25-09-11, 01:07 PM
very well a chap by me Wacky Mick ( runs the blue viva van c20let ) owes me a favour so hes gona sort my refill when i buy a kit lol

Jack
25-09-11, 01:20 PM
Skinny as fook rear wheels as oppose to 6"+ alloys. Higher rear end the better (obviously not tractor styling it > on accerleration weight transfers to the rear thus losing front end traction, results in more spin, less go. Well thats the theory anyway....).
Solid rear suspension would be better that high IMO - you want to reduce rear end squat

Only downside is crossfire injectors are £45 each, gets expensive when you need four :S
More so when you need six. LOL

Mike
25-09-11, 01:51 PM
Solid rear suspension would be better that high IMO - you want to reduce rear end squat

Or this!

Exactly the reason I invested in rock solid Bilstein tarmac rear setup.

Nobby, if your rolling Mk1 style & decide to go all out slicks up front, give me a shout as I can supply GRP wide front wings with kevlar reinforced mounting points or GRP through out.

Like so; shamelessy stolen from MK999 lol

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/mikenova/widefront.jpg

Nobby
25-09-11, 02:02 PM
can you get the normal fibreglass wings mate? how much are the wide ones?

Mike
25-09-11, 02:12 PM
can you get the normal fibreglass wings mate? how much are the wide ones?

FG standards in either full GRP or with kevlar reinforcement around the mounting points be about a oner. Yet to get my hands on some standard wings (Mk1 &/or 2) to take moulds from though.

The wide ones, Ive still got the moulds for (Mk1 only) an the same for them, full GRP or kev reinforced for £120 a pair.

turbojolt
25-09-11, 02:13 PM
If its better to have solid or stiff rear suspension dose that theory work with the fronts being set up super soft ?

Mike
25-09-11, 02:20 PM
If its better to have solid or stiff rear suspension dose that theory work with the fronts being set up super soft ?

How have you come to that conclusion?

turbojolt
25-09-11, 02:27 PM
Was just a thought

Mike
25-09-11, 02:32 PM
Was just a thought

Oh right, basically no though, soft as ****e front & hard as **** rear aint the way to go ever really IMO as the rear will overtake the front as soon as your show it a fast corner lol

Personally, and in my case with my new toy, Ive gone tarmac spec all round but with revised spring rates. Still keeping a serperate spring/shock setup at the rear. Bigger rear ARB's, no front ARB's & it results in very predictable but VERY controlable LOO whilst cornering & lifting the inside wheel through a tight chicane etc.

Basically I set it up pretty much ident to one of my old rally cars lol

Nobby
25-09-11, 02:41 PM
FG standards in either full GRP or with kevlar reinforcement around the mounting points be about a oner. Yet to get my hands on some standard wings (Mk1 &/or 2) to take moulds from though.

The wide ones, Ive still got the moulds for (Mk1 only) an the same for them, full GRP or kev reinforced for £120 a pair.

id have a set of normal mk1 FB wings mate when do you think you will get a mould?

Mike
25-09-11, 03:29 PM
id have a set of normal mk1 FB wings mate when do you think you will get a mould?

When ever I get round to buying a pair of OE wings to take a mould from pretty much lol

Southie
25-09-11, 03:48 PM
Nobby if your after MK1 standard wings Chris at CMComposites makes them ;)
http://www.cmcomposites.co.uk/

djbrowney
25-09-11, 04:30 PM
from my experince i would jack the back up with something solid, not just winding your coilovers up. The front wants to be quite stiff becasue if it to soft you will find the car will judder as you pull of the line. Oh and weld the diff up in the gearbox :)

Looking something like this

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad165/djbrowney_let/17174_254487425193_512785193_3738905_378878_n.jpg

Nobby
25-09-11, 04:32 PM
from my experince i would jack the back up with something solid, not just winding your coilovers up. The front wants to be quite stiff becasue if it to soft you will find the car will judder as you pull of the line. Oh and weld the diff up in the gearbox :)

Looking something like this

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad165/djbrowney_let/17174_254487425193_512785193_3738905_378878_n.jpg

lol love it! budget racing ftw! what did you do just get some box section and make it to fit?

turbojolt
25-09-11, 04:34 PM
Did that green car use to run a 100 shot of nitrous, seriously liking the track slag look of it

djbrowney
25-09-11, 04:40 PM
300 nitrious jet and 140 jet on fuel iirc so what ever that equates too. on the button with out a controller :)

turbojolt
25-09-11, 04:55 PM
A big bang one presumes lol

Bubba
25-09-11, 05:00 PM
why has no-one mentioned taking a big poo??

and solid rear suspension would be a problem if you had to drive it there.

Nobby
25-09-11, 05:14 PM
300 nitrious jet and 140 jet on fuel iirc so what ever that equates too. on the button with out a controller :)
just seen the vids on youtube you just hear "raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrr" and then tyres spinning when you hit the button fackin ace!

Jack
25-09-11, 07:56 PM
and solid rear suspension would be a problem if you had to drive it there.
Wouldn't be too hard to jack the car up, whip the springs and dampers out and replace with something solid.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to take all your beer/camping stuff out the back too. Ooops lol

djbrowney
25-09-11, 09:08 PM
lol love it! budget racing ftw! what did you do just get some box section and make it to fit?

No i just welded in two scaffold poles about 12" long where the springs normally sat haha

the videos of you tube are jongirl and turbo gav

Paul
26-09-11, 12:55 AM
I have some solid rear shocks for sale, bolt straight into where the rear dampers go. Take springs & shocks out and bolt these in and away you go! Check my WIP theyre in there somewhere, used on the yellow one @ USC 2010

davidfox280585
26-09-11, 06:19 PM
david gave me good advice at york,set off on amber at york, i pulled the 5th quickest reaction time of the weekend which i was well chuffed about obviously dave dixon was near top

heres me at york
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwbSWB9FVXE

http://www.youtube.com/user/dave280585#p/a/u/1/4yhFfzCCLcU