PDA

View Full Version : XE Oil pressure query / question!

MARTIN KELSON
22-09-11, 09:59 PM
Right here is the storey so far!

On my Stack dask i have an oil pressure sensor that screws into the origonal location oil pressure sensor on a 2.0 XE

All working fine then engine came out for a refresh & throttle body fitment. This was about a year ago!
When i refitted the engine, no oil pressure reading on dash. Showing fault code so presumed just coinsidence that it all came about whilst engine was out & reinstalled.
Anyway today Stack dash came back with a new loom from Stack & all tested 100% fine.
Connected it roughly up tonight, started car, no oil pressure reading. No thinking its engine related & cant be Stack related as thats had a clean bill of health.

Now when i did an oil change after its rebuild i removed the filter & noticed the nice Vauxhall filter adapter i had that the filter screws onto & into the engine was gone & in its place was just a hydraulic style fitting. Thought nothing of it really as still did the same job.
Now i dont know where that adapter screws into the oil pump how fine is it in there? What i mean is if that non Vaux adapter screws further in than Vaux intended can it block an oil galley to my sensor?
My reason behind this is when i remove the sensor it doesnt seem to be soaked in oil, also i started the car & ran for 10-15 seconds with no sensor installed & expected to see a puddle of oil on garage floor.....................Nothing!

Could this be the problem or if this adapter does screw in few mm further i would make little or no difference.

Really doing my head in now so any advise much appreciated. :)
Will try calling engine builder tomorrow to see what he says, & tomorrow night i may try fitting my oil cooler sandwich plate so at least its how Vauxhall intendid & see if i get oil to the sensor.

Sorry for the long explanation!!

Martin

Southie
22-09-11, 10:06 PM
I don't suppose you've another oil sensor you could try, it may have brokendown.

I'm not really up on this technology so tell me to feck off but can you re-set your ecu at all to clear any faults?

MK999
22-09-11, 10:07 PM
Are the sensors on the pump same as a smallblock 8v?

MARTIN KELSON
22-09-11, 10:17 PM
They are Stack's own sensors.
I have swapped the oil pressure sensor with fuel pressure & the fuel pressure still reads no its not sensor related

The Stack dash has its own standalone loom & sensors to the dash so its nowt to do with ecu's etc.

Just concerned why isnt the sensor full of oil & when nothing in the sensor location why isnt it p1ssing oil out.

Since the engine build i have done about 600 miles in this configuration so if oil pump had failed i'am sure the engine would have gone 'pop' by mow!

MK999
22-09-11, 10:19 PM
Where is the sensor located then if it's Stacks own? Unless it's some sort of quick link fitting that seals itself with nothing in it, no flow to an oil galley is bad news, although 600 miles almost definitely would have revealed an issue, engine run quietly as ever?

MARTIN KELSON
22-09-11, 10:31 PM
In the same location as standard Vaux

Pic from another forum. That isnt the Stack sensor, but this is where its located.

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/internet_articles/MIG%20Vauxhall%20-%20XE-LET%20oil%20pressure%20and%20temp%20senders,%20wha t,%20why,%20how,%20where_files/sender01.jpg

Was all fine till engine freshen up & as said earlier, only thing i have noticed is this oil filter adapter thread isnt a Vaux item so maybe its screwd in slightly too far, Dunno iam no mechanic so clutching at straws!

Yea its ran quiet & sweet so its nothing thats doing any harm to the engine.

MK999
22-09-11, 10:34 PM
That's directly on the pump as far as I can see, so there is no oil galley to block. Very strange indeed!

Graeme
22-09-11, 10:37 PM
When I have removed sandwich plates of xe's I have always used the oil filter hollow bolt of an 8v block which has an unthread bit in the middle that bottoms out of the pump and then the filter, I say go down the scrappy wip one out of any 8v and try fitting that

MARTIN KELSON
22-09-11, 10:45 PM
Got the Vaux part number so will see tomorrow if they have one but i dont know if that is screwed in too far will it block oil to the sensor.

Failing that i will fit the cooler sandwich plate & adapter.

Its really doing my fruit now!

Southie
22-09-11, 10:53 PM
Surely someone else has the same set up as you Martin? What's Matthew172 running on his stack dash? I know his is a LET but maybe of some use to you.

MARTIN KELSON
22-09-11, 10:59 PM
Matts Stack is slightly different to mine, as in sensors & wiring loom.

Dash & loom come back today from Stack so nowt wrong with them, it has to be something with the engine as it was all fine before it came out last time.

With speak to John Toovey tomorrow who had a hand in the engine build & see what he thinks!

Nova_Tek
22-09-11, 11:09 PM
Strip the pump, could be pump related. I'd have guessed oil would be coming out of there when running. Whenever I've removed a sensor, it's always had oil on it.

Iain
22-09-11, 11:11 PM
Thread from Vauxhall will be about a fiver, worth it to put your mind at rest about the adaptor?

You could try fitting the pressure sender in the back of the block to see what's going on there? The thread is the same as the position you have fitted it into in the pump

Nova_Tek
22-09-11, 11:14 PM
Thread from Vauxhall will be about a fiver, worth it to put your mind at rest about the adaptor?

Was that aimed at me and my oil filter sandwich issue?

Iain
22-09-11, 11:19 PM
As far as I was aware this thread is to help Martin diagnose his oil pressure problem? Am I mistaken? lol

Nova_Tek
22-09-11, 11:21 PM
As far as I was aware this thread is to help Martin diagnose his oil pressure problem? Am I mistaken? lol

Yep, it sho' is, but the way that you phrased the sentance you could well be talking about my issue aswell lol

MARTIN KELSON
23-09-11, 08:33 PM
Think i have sorted it.

Oil pump pressure relief valve. There is a spring loaded plunger behind a 23mm nut. Common fault apparently for that plunger to get stuck. Stripped it & mine was suck, managed to pull it out eventually, clean up with some wet & dry, lubricate and put back together.

First time in ages i have a oil pressure reading on dash :) To say i was happy & releaved was an understatement!

Will F
23-09-11, 09:57 PM
I was going to say the relief valve! Just thank feck it hasnt damaged the bearings/crank etc!

I knew from reading the thread that there was a problem - if you leave the sensor out of teh block it will (should) spray oil everywhere!

Nova_Tek
26-09-11, 12:31 AM
Get a £50 kit from SBD mate, new spring and nylon relief valve designed to stop the original metal one jamming. Could save you a bottom end in the future.