PDA

View Full Version : 20XE oil pump/crank pulley problem...

staggy_gsi
21-09-11, 05:42 PM
Hi guys, hope soeone can help...

I'm putting together an engine that came to me in bits - never good!
Got the crank in, and put the oil pump on but for some reason the oil seal doesn't actually seal against the crank :confused:

is there something like a shim which goes over the crank to seal it before the pulley is fitted? There is a shiny mark on the back of the pulley as though it has been up against something at some point, but theres nothing there now!!

any help would be appreciated, maybe a picture so i can see if im missing something??

cheers in advance :)

Graeme
21-09-11, 05:49 PM
There is a flat horse shoe shape metal seal between the block and pump, then a steel ring goes on the crack which seals to the oil seal in the outside of the pump then thats it befors the botton cam belt pulley goes on

Iain
21-09-11, 06:23 PM
Called a thrust washer I think? Quite expensive from Vauxhall at about £40 but worth getting a new one IMO.

http://iainel.co.uk/images/forums/NovaWIP2/930.JPG

staggy_gsi
21-09-11, 11:12 PM
£40 for that?? :cry::cry:

well it looks like thats what i need. im taking my redtop corsa off the road in a couple of weeks so i might 'borrow' it off that so i can crack on and get this engine built.

cheers for the help guys!

Iain
21-09-11, 11:48 PM
Check it's condition first, as you can see in the pic it seems to wear a groove in it which may cause the seal to leak

Lee H
22-09-11, 12:12 AM
If it has a groove in like that just fit it the other way round so the seal isn't running on the groove.

staggy_gsi
22-09-11, 06:42 PM
yeah i will do, cheers.

gonna end up buying one i think as im planning on chucking my old engine in something else once the new one is built...