PDA

View Full Version : Nova coilovers help??

M Sutton
21-09-11, 01:43 PM
I have a Nova that im going to use on track days aswell as on the road at weekends etc.

It has a 1.6 16v and is stripped out with bucket seats. It already had uprated shocks with -40mm springs but im not to impressed with the ride or the hight of the car! It seems quite soft so i want to upgrade to coilovers with a maximum budget of £400.

Over the winter i plan to fit a full cage, uprated bushes and the new suspension, but i really dont know what to get after spending hours on the net looking at all the different options!

Im hopeing one of you can help as im stuck on what setup to go for?!

Thanks
Mark

scott.parker
21-09-11, 01:53 PM
IF it was me and i had to buy from new now, i would say GAZ full coilovers, but I'm not sure how much they cost tbh, but if you cant afford that, then go for something like a spax set up with the convectional springs on the rear.

Mieran
21-09-11, 01:56 PM
£410 will get you GAZ gha kit which is good for the money.

Or second hand Spax RSX, they are better than the gaz kit ime.

moffat
21-09-11, 02:07 PM
rear coilovers are overkill on a car thats going get used on the road aswell, gaz kit with there 250"lb rear springs and ajustable rear shocks would be my 1st choice.

scott.parker
21-09-11, 02:10 PM
Well he did say track/weekend use, but IMO not at all, rear coilovers are way better then the standard independent set up, as your not limited to springs for ride hight, and my rear coilovers don't fall out every time i jack the back of the car up lol

moffat
21-09-11, 02:14 PM
true scott, if i was building a track motor id deffo have rear coilovers but for my nova ive went for spax rsx up front and avo ajustable shocks on the rear and go for custom springs. still a not too bad set up if was to take this one out on track mind you :)

basilmk1
21-09-11, 02:17 PM
Do rear coilovers just bolt up in place of the standard shocks?

Mieran
21-09-11, 02:18 PM
On the gaz kit i had, rear was coilover with 250lb springs

didn't like it tbh, just didn't feel right

scott.parker
21-09-11, 02:41 PM
Are GAZ rear coilovers none adjustable dampening?

I have LEAD fronts set damp, and AVO rears adj etc, and this work fantastic.

Basilmk1 yes mate.

Moffat, yours would work very nice on track mate, i had rsx set up on my old for a bit.

Mieran
21-09-11, 02:46 PM
They are but become rock solid after 8 clicks and they have 28 overall iirc so imagine them on the hardest setting!

Paul
21-09-11, 02:55 PM
You dont wind the clicks up when theyre new, the springs set the stiffness!

Hobbit
21-09-11, 02:55 PM
Avoid GAZ imo, bad quality and worse customer service when it comes to honouring warranties. Just my opinion obviously.

scott.parker
21-09-11, 02:56 PM
lol, AVO's have 24 iirc? and i last had them on 10-12 at Combe last time and were just right to give enough squat in the bends, but if you want 1/4 mile use then them GAZ one's set to max would be ideal..

Edd
21-09-11, 04:58 PM
You have to beat the inner arch in to get Gaz to fit, well I did on a mk2 I had

phunkynova
21-09-11, 05:13 PM
I use AVO's all round with 250 front and 180 back springs. I can not fault them. They fit straight in ride height adjustable and damping adjustable, GTZ full set £550 or GTX full set £900.

scott.parker
21-09-11, 05:51 PM
You have to beat the inner arch in to get Gaz to fit, well I did on a mk2 I had

Edd surly you tryed it with the beam jacked up? as it's common for the body/spring to seam as if it's fouling on the inner arch if you try to fit them by attaching to the turrets top first, then try to fit to beam, but if you jack up the beam they should fit... Well AVO's do, and they also make it seam like they wont fit until you jack it up.

Scott

Edd
21-09-11, 06:31 PM
cant remember tbh lol shell with them on is at mates farm atm

BRoadGhost
22-09-11, 10:02 AM
Having adjustable damping & cranking it up so there's next to no stroke is the worst thing ever. You want the springs to do the work with as much travel as possible before anything starts touching with the lowest center of gravity possible.

Paul
22-09-11, 04:48 PM
Having adjustable damping & cranking it up so there's next to no stroke is the worst thing ever. You want the springs to do the work with as much travel as possible before anything starts touching with the lowest center of gravity possible.

This, wind the clicks right down, if its too soft, you need stiffer springs!

M Sutton
22-09-11, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the replies, i will have a think aout what to go for as it will be a few months untill il be buying any!