PDA

View Full Version : ideas on SR Alloys

Simon 1867
20-09-11, 04:16 PM
I keep seeing cars with "deepdish alloys" Think thats what they are called. Ive had the idea of getting a second set of SR alloys making them into deepdish alloys.

Whats peoples thoughts? has anyone seen a set, got a picture maybe.
Also if you have done this to a set of wheels can you give me a rough road to go down with regards price and where might do this type of work.

Thanks

Iain
20-09-11, 04:18 PM
Wasn't aware you could modify an alloy wheel in such a way. Pics of what you've seen?

L14MNP
20-09-11, 04:20 PM
I seen a company advertising 'banding' of alloys on eBay once. Surely impossible though.

Simon, want a nice set of low ET polished 13x7 Superlites? /Shameless self promotion.

swedge
20-09-11, 04:28 PM
not quite banded though

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x233/Wolfsburgstore/wwwwolfsburgstorebe1267.jpg

craig green
20-09-11, 06:28 PM
/\ f**k off! /\

Royston
20-09-11, 06:43 PM
I don't think it is feasible due to the offset;)

You would need to machine them accurately, need 2 rims per wheel, machine a groove for a sealing o ring and then drill and tap/ counter bore the face to clamp the parts together.

Sharp machined corners could induce failure:eek: threads could pull out:eek:

Insurance company would walk away in the event of an accident.............

I would steer well clear, run the risk of a nasty failure, and we wouldn't want that would we;)

Find some nice other wheels:)

Calamity Josh
20-09-11, 06:47 PM
If you want deep dish just go for banded steels, the'd probably be much cheaper and defenatly be much safer(if you get a professional to do it)

MK999
20-09-11, 08:22 PM
Seen alloy banding before, not completely ridiculous, same process as steel pretty much, tig welded bands into the alloys.

Simon 1867
20-09-11, 10:22 PM
it was just an idea... thanks for the advice though, I had in the back of my mind what Royston has said so I think i will give them a miss and stick on the idea of steels