PDA

View Full Version : Ecu question

gtegary
20-09-11, 03:28 PM
Hi, it's not nova related but my brothers 1.8 ecotec Astra has an ecu fault and keeps cutting out. His been quoted 300 to have the ecu reconditioned and the key reprogrammed.

It's the twin plug ecu.

If he bought a second hand one with a key would itbe a matter of plug and play? Or would it still need programming for the central locking etc??

Tim
20-09-11, 06:12 PM
I don't know the answer to any of your questions, but I can recommend the ecu doctor. Based in Plymouth. I had to recently send a unit of my own off for repair and I cannot fault there service.
Maybe its worth giving them a call. Very helpful people.

craig green
20-09-11, 06:24 PM
Unless the model of engine ECU you have is prone to a fault, I'd be inclined to guess its a loom or sensor issue tbh. Is the ECU thought to be dodgy just down to a continual episode of fault codes?

gtegary
20-09-11, 08:06 PM
Apparently the twin plug ecu was prone to fault but the code that come up on the reader was air flow, which was my my first idea that it was the air flow meter? But the garage he took it too said to ignore that and that it was ecu. I've seen replacement ecus with keys for £50, but didn't know if it would need some kinda recoding even withthe key?

phazer
20-09-11, 09:47 PM
It'll probably also need the immobiliser pickup along with the ecu and keys if the pickup can't be re-coded. Don't know enough about this ECU to be certain but something for you to check.

Having said that Craig makes a good point. It's rare for the ECU to fail, check what you can yourself first before getting ripped for something you don't need.

Jack
20-09-11, 10:23 PM
I think Spud had similar problems with his car cutting out, he looked at the ECU as I'm sure it turned out to be a slightly-more-common-than-rare problem on the Astra... I'll point him to this thread.

Pistol Pete
21-09-11, 07:47 AM
Is it the X18XE1 engine? I have the same in my vectra. When I bought it EM light was on. Flashed the codes, no joy with what came up. Did some Google research. The solder breaks down on the earths and causes an internal fault. Previous owner was quoted silly money by vauxhall for a new Ecu. I got one off eBay for £300. Ecu transponder and key chips. Took all of 10minutes to change. Ran sweet as a nut ever since!

Edit, this is a common fault on these engines BTW.

gtegary
21-09-11, 03:06 PM
cheers for the help, i'm going try and borrow an air flow meter from some where and try that, if not i'll get the second hand ecu and transponder etc etc.

thanks again people :)