PDA

View Full Version : Rear negative camber on a FWD car

Mieran
15-09-11, 10:24 PM
People seem to say its a bad thing and will make handling worse but how come some of the BTCC cars run a lot of camber on their rear wheels?

Just wondering.

karisma
15-09-11, 10:57 PM
I had camber on my corsa b and it improved cornering. it used to skip when cornering hard, added the camber and it just went round corners so much smoother when cornering hard.ghetto style using washers of corse

Bubba
15-09-11, 11:01 PM
im sure it effect stability in a straight line though

Mieran
15-09-11, 11:03 PM
I had camber on my corsa b and it improved cornering. it used to skip when cornering hard, added the camber and it just went round corners so much smoother when cornering hard.ghetto style using washers of corse
I've read a few posts of people saying you can use washers but how is it done?

bazil
16-09-11, 08:42 AM
Unbolt the 2 bottom rear hub bolts, add washers between hub backplate and mounting face on the axle, job jobbed, I suppose in theory you can alter the rear toe angle the same method, but I can't see any benefit in doing rear toe,

Edd
16-09-11, 08:54 AM
I'm using Eibach camber shims

Was going to use washers until I was told about the shims, cheap as well

MattBrown
16-09-11, 10:15 AM
Camber adjusts the amount of mid corner grip, but entering a corner it will loose some, and it may become unstable at high speed.

Rear toe again, the more the harder it will corner, but will loose initial turn in, and will shag tyres.

simonm
16-09-11, 10:45 AM
Changing camber will chew Tyres like there's no tomorrow ok for track car but for every day road use it will wear thin having to replace Tyres so often but will help corner better

Edd
16-09-11, 10:57 AM
Makes my wheels fit so I'm happy lol

bazil
16-09-11, 11:55 AM
Simple solution to tyre wear, turn the tyres,

It's what we do on our sweepers due to outer edge tyre wear, you would have to be a complete plum to let your tyres wear out without turning them to get the most amount of usage from them

craig green
16-09-11, 03:19 PM
The rate of tyre wear/grip characteristics will depend on how aggressive the neg camber is.

Obv there is a trend of neg camber/stance just now so its highly likely a lot of folk are doing it purely for looks.

C612DNM
16-09-11, 06:02 PM
People seem to say its a bad thing and will make handling worse but how come some of the BTCC cars run a lot of camber on their rear wheels?

Just wondering.

Just simple - because they don't know what they're talking about!

On road tyres, no more than about 1deg Neg at the rear, and some toe out - but that's as far as I'm going, the rest is in my head and I'm not giving you my setup tips without your credit card or bank account details first. And what's more, once done right, you will need to have your wits about you because it won't be for the feint hearted!

Any more than 1deg Neg on road tyres becomes detrimental.

Washers are probably tooo much to achieve 1deg, I use shim stock steel to do it properly. For championships where shims/washers are not permitted, portapower is your friend!

What's it worth? a second a lap at Snetterton on the old circuit. Probably more on the new "300" circuit.

Benn
16-09-11, 06:05 PM
The rate of tyre wear/grip characteristics will depend on how aggressive the neg camber is.

Obv there is a trend of neg camber/stance just now so its highly likely a lot of folk are doing it purely for looks.

All about the stance dude.. Scene it up...

Rydoc
05-07-12, 05:57 PM
Agree with top i put washers (ghetto) on rear and handled so much better never stepped out in rain anymore this is a corsa b btw!