PDA

View Full Version : C16SE on carbs and ,,,,which dizzy?????

manicminimaniac
15-09-11, 12:21 AM
Hi I have a C16SE engine and have just bought a set of R1 carbs and Bogg Bros manifold. I dont really want to spend on Megajolt just yet so I'm going to run a dizzy on the end of the cam. Ive bought a dizzy with stamped number 1103723 8G 21 it has a long black cap and a red and black wire protruding from it. the drive is an offset two flat pins that are in line that would fit in a slot. not stripped my electronic dizzy off the engine yet but has anyone ever removed the MPI and run bike carbs with a dizzy? any help welcomed

shed-on-wheels
15-09-11, 12:40 AM
nova 1.2 or sr dizzy dude or a mk2 cav gl 1.6 dizzy

land nova
15-09-11, 05:40 PM
Hi mate im lookin to put some bike carbs on my 1.6 gsi engine at the min how much did it cost was it a kit from boggs or did you get them else were i had twin 40s on but am looking to change now

phazer
15-09-11, 06:02 PM
The C16SE cam doesn't have a dizzy drive, nor does it have a blanking plate on the cam cover.

manicminimaniac
18-09-11, 09:09 PM
hi thanks for that,
will I have to change for a different cam? if so are there any I can get secondhand and hwats the profile differences?
land nova,,, the carbs were 100 notes delivered of e bay and the manifold is 190 from bogg bros
whats the blanking plate for?

moffat
18-09-11, 09:10 PM
not be better using an e16se dizzy head? c16se are coilpacks

NovaBoi92
18-09-11, 09:15 PM
dont know if it helps but i have a 1.6 astra engine in my nova, it has a carb on it but has the pin drive dizzy which is used on the c16se. The dizzy i have has its own ecu that just controls the ignition, so maybe its worth looking into this. You can use the c16se distributor and coil but with the wiring and ecu from the astra, plugs straight in, it would just need wiring into the car which is only a + and - hope this helps you. let me know if you need any more info/pics or anything because this would save changin the cam or head

phazer
18-09-11, 09:17 PM
dont know if it helps but i have a 1.6 astra engine in my nova, it has a carb on it but has the pin drive dizzy which is used on the c16se. The dizzy i have has its own ecu that just controls the ignition, so maybe its worth looking into this. You can use the c16se distributor and coil but with the wiring and ecu from the astra, plugs straight in, it would just need wiring into the car which is only a + and - hope this helps you. let me know if you need any more info/pics or anything because this would save changin the cam or head

You sure it's a C16SE? They were all dispack in the Nova and certainly were in the mk3 astra (and the later variants in the mk4)

NovaBoi92
18-09-11, 09:25 PM
The engine i have in my nova is a 1989 1.6 astra engine with a pierburg 2e carb. It confused me abit as to why it has all the electronic ignition on it, its the same sort of setup as the c16se i think. But you have the distributor wiring, coil and ignition amplifier that wires straight into this ecu via a mini loom that also gives the signal for things like the rev counter. I think if he used this setup on the 16se with the bike carbs it would save changing the head or cam etc

moffat
18-09-11, 09:29 PM
dont you mean dizzy e16se set up mate?

bazil
18-09-11, 09:29 PM
The C16 was never fitted before 1992 so a 89 astra cant be a C16,

As was said earlier the C16 never used a dizzy or coil but the E16 did

NovaBoi92
18-09-11, 09:35 PM
im not saying that the astra engine i have is a c/e16se im just saying that i *think* they use the same ignition setup? but using the same setup i am at the moment would solve the problem. using electronic ignition with carbs

bazil
18-09-11, 09:42 PM
Stick a picture up of your set up please,

NovaBoi92
18-09-11, 09:44 PM
ok will do, might not be very good pictures because im in the dark at the moment lol

Stuart
18-09-11, 09:45 PM
the 'dizzy' on the c/e16SE isnt a proper dizzy in that you cant get full advance/retard that you might want/need.

Change to the 1.4 RED dizzy setup/module/coil and mini harness... DONE :)

NovaBoi92
18-09-11, 09:51 PM
couldnt get a decent pic, sorry. but stuart thats the sort of thing that im trying to say, im using the black dizzy tho

Ash
18-09-11, 11:25 PM
second the red 1.4SR dissy setup. Ensure you get the dissy, loom and coil, ideally together. I had a massive nightmare buying them separately

phazer
19-09-11, 04:44 PM
couldnt get a decent pic, sorry. but stuart thats the sort of thing that im trying to say, im using the black dizzy tho

Ok, but the C16SE never ever had a distributer fitted to it. It used a coil pack, totally different thing, setup and ECU to control it - hence all the questions :)

NovaBoi92
19-09-11, 05:10 PM
Ok, but the C16SE never ever had a distributer fitted to it. It used a coil pack, totally different thing, setup and ECU to control it - hence all the questions :)
ok then mate sorry if im wrong im just going by my recent experience, i definately have a distributor on mine tho. but need it set up properly doesnt run too nice lol

land nova
21-09-11, 02:23 PM
Thanks for them prices manicminimaniac (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/member.php?200373-manicminimaniac) will i still need to use the altornator drop down plate with the bike carbs as i had to with the twin 40s or shall i sell this with the manifold

manicminimaniac
25-09-11, 08:00 PM
well this has opened up a can of worms,,, land rover youll have to make a new braket im affraid,,, everyone else many thanks for the info ,, looks like the dizzy ive bought is a delco one and need to find a 1.2 or 1.6 cam for it to drive it,,, or buy a bosch one from a 1.4SR. the dizzy only has two wires so theres no need for a vauxhall loom as its only a + and - to the coil running the most basic set up like a 1959 mini. just need to find a decent cam and dizzy set up that will fit in my head

the americans spent £40 million on a pen that would work in space,, hence the space pen

the russians used a pencil,,,,,,,as the merecat says "simples"

Stuart
25-09-11, 08:53 PM
Space pen was invented to prevent a snapped lead from the pencil from making its way into the electronics ;)