PDA

View Full Version : F20 gear oil

simonm
14-09-11, 09:28 PM
What's the norm for a standard f20 some say 80/90 some say ATF just in the nibble of opening one up wanna make sure the tight oil was in in the first place as it's getting noisy Thanks lads

mowgli
14-09-11, 09:31 PM
sae80-90 is what gm put in. i just don't get why people put atf in them, as it is completely the wrong grade oil for a manual box.

Andy
14-09-11, 09:32 PM
atf is fine.1.8 litres and hundreds of cars/thousands of miles usage brother

mowgli
14-09-11, 09:34 PM
if the car already had red oil in the box, then its up to you, but if it is brownish & smells like a tomcat, then its gear oil

Andy
14-09-11, 09:37 PM
if the car already had red oil in the box, then its up to you, but if it is brownish & smells like a tomcat, then its gear oil

We have had this debate before remember? lol

Adam
14-09-11, 09:40 PM
The oil supplied by Vaux themselves is red btw.

I used "normal" gear oil in all mine though, no probs. I just chuck 2L in an empty box and be done with it.

John
14-09-11, 09:49 PM
as per adams post, oe vauxhall gearbox oil is red in colour.

simonm
14-09-11, 10:22 PM
I no with any of my f10 and f13 boxes I couldn't get gears with gear oil so had to use ATF and never had a problem and my f20 in my astra is gettin noisy now and when I dropped the oil out earlier it had gear oil in and a lot of metal in it

Nova_Tek
14-09-11, 10:56 PM
ATF is proper thin it's bascially power steering fluid. Just go look at how thin that stuff is then go check out how thick 80/90 is. I would't risk it to be honest mate otherwise I may as well put 0-30w in the LET lol

mowgli
15-09-11, 05:03 AM
The oil supplied by Vaux themselves is red btw.

I used "normal" gear oil in all mine though, no probs. I just chuck 2L in an empty box and be done with it.

the new gm gear oil is, the stuff they put in in the 80's wasn't......

andy. atf is designed to stick to torque converters & clutch packs, gear oil is designed to work on gears, they have totally different needs.

mowgli
15-09-11, 05:04 AM
I no with any of my f10 and f13 boxes I couldn't get gears with gear oil so had to use ATF and never had a problem and my f20 in my astra is gettin noisy now and when I dropped the oil out earlier it had gear oil in and a lot of metal in it
you were probably putting straight 90 oil in. if there is metal coming out of the box, then it is pretty much past worrying what oil you have in it...

mowgli
15-09-11, 05:05 AM
We have had this debate before remember? lol

and you were still wrong iirc

simonm
15-09-11, 06:13 PM
So any way as I've not really got a definitive answer on the oil I just want to see whether it was the wrong oil that done the damage in the first place

Also would you guys recon I should rebuild or just pop another box in

mowgli
15-09-11, 06:17 PM
Simon, it depends on what is up with it.. Get the oil cleaned out, & pull the end off. If the bearings, synchros & gears are ok, then get a gasket & slap it all back together. Old oil can be almost as bad as no oil. But as the box is 20 odd years old, it could be tatered.

I'm serious about sticking 80-90 (cat piss smelling) oil back in.. Its what it was designed to take.

Benn
15-09-11, 06:22 PM
EP80/90 1.9lts the books say.

Nova_Tek
15-09-11, 07:47 PM
So any way as I've not really got a definitive answer on the oil I just want to see whether it was the wrong oil that done the damage in the first place

Also would you guys recon I should rebuild or just pop another box in

Definitive answer dude is 80/90. You could search around for different oils at that grade and maybe go for quality stuff but that's what the box needs. If you got metal up in there I'd crack it open and see what's going on.

simonm
15-09-11, 08:31 PM
Thanks I popped the end cap off earlier but not much wiser on it may just bite the bullet and pop it out of it but once I no it was the rite oil in it I'm happy enough it was doing a good bit of clattering in 5th worst of all so its prob worth my while just changing it has any one any ideas what bearings are in it might be able to get s set through my work

John
15-09-11, 08:35 PM
the new gm gear oil is, the stuff they put in in the 80's wasn't......

The stuff they put in in the 90's was red, the modern vauxhall stuff is clear.

mowgli
15-09-11, 08:51 PM
gear oil still smells of cat wee.... i think people stick atf in cos its available from every garage forecourt for some strange reason, yet proper 80w-90 is rarely there.

also people, get some from a tractor dealership. it will be cheaper

Andy
15-09-11, 08:53 PM
and you were still wrong iirc

No,we just disagreed on its suitability.
I swear by it-you swear about it lol

John
15-09-11, 09:00 PM
Just go give vauxhall your chassis number, buy 2 litres of gearbox oil, job jobbed.

simonm
15-09-11, 09:02 PM
It surly does stink I've been covered in the stuff enough times over the years climb in side gear boxes on heavy machines and ya no all about it come to think of it I've been covered in just about every type of oil ya can think of lol don't miss it either I just hand out theparts now which is so handy

Benn
15-09-11, 09:32 PM
Just go give vauxhall your chassis number, buy 2 litres of gearbox oil, job jobbed.

Which is EP80/90.

John
15-09-11, 09:33 PM
Which is EP80/90.

Correct! (but at least thread op won't still be confused)