PDA

View Full Version : Removing a track rod end

Mieran
14-09-11, 12:32 PM
Need little advice on how to remove this track rod end.

When trying to undo the nut it just spins with the thread, even with a windy gun. So whats best solution in this case?

Cheers

Iain
14-09-11, 12:37 PM
Try hammering it down into the hub or clamping it in tight?

If it's being replaced you could saw it off just above the nut.

Mieran
14-09-11, 12:43 PM
I was going to get the grinder on it but just checking if there is a more civilised way lol

Jeff16v
14-09-11, 12:44 PM
I would just angle grind a slit in the nut and whack it in half.

Longdogcharlie
14-09-11, 12:44 PM
I was going to get the grinder on it but just checking if there is a more civilised way lol
Try using an air gun, usually they conme off with some wd40 on the thread..

bazil
14-09-11, 12:45 PM
Some have a Allen or torx hole in the centre of the thread so you can hold it from turning while undoing the nut with a spanner, if you don't have that get a bolt splitter or grinder into it,

mowgli
14-09-11, 07:25 PM
When i've had this trouble & don't want to be rough, i usually support the rod end with a crowbar or jack.. I did this method on pikey19864393's astra putting the jack on top of the rod end.

Pistol Pete
14-09-11, 07:29 PM
This ^ Done that a few times.

Lever down in it to hold it in place.

Mark
14-09-11, 07:35 PM
I usually hold it tight to the strut with a pair of pumpgrips/swan necks. Always works for me.

Jon_nova1
15-09-11, 08:43 AM
angle grinder, ultrathin disc, comes off quicker than you can bolt a new one in place

pikey1986
15-09-11, 10:35 AM
mowgli's method took all of 30 seconds to remove my pain in the ass track rod end

swedge
15-09-11, 02:52 PM
i dont think hes actualy trying to remove the track rod end from the rack i think hes just trying to unbolt it from the hub carrier

get a long pole and put it through the hole into the engine bay and leaver down on top of the end of the track rod end then undo it

its tapered so needs pressure to hold the TRE still whilst undoing it

therealnovaboy
15-09-11, 05:31 PM
See if you can get an allen key in the end to hold the ball from spinning. The ones I bought the last time had this. I know they never used to have this but worth a shot before butchering it.

mowgli
15-09-11, 06:05 PM
Pics of offending article or gtfo

Mieran
15-09-11, 06:17 PM
Turned out the nut was spinning but thread wasn't, weird :wtf:

Ended up getting the grinder out and chopped the bottom half, tried to hammer the rest out of the hub carrier but no joy so attacked top of the track rod end with a grinder too which left me with whats left inside the hub carrier, so drilled the ****er out

mowgli
15-09-11, 06:18 PM
So shagged nut then. Its always best to get a wire brush & wd40 on something like this before trying to undo it, if the thread picks up, then this is what happens.

craig green
16-09-11, 03:22 PM
Possibly a bit late now, but always wire brush the threads below the nut before attempting to loosen it.

You could try doing it back up tight, treat the threads & WD it, then attempt undoing it, dont shock the nut but unwind it gently to try & keep the taper within the knuckle & not make it spin. Beating the nut from underneath will just ruin the threads & make it near impossible to remove.