PDA

View Full Version : mot for my nova

vx mad
14-09-11, 09:40 AM
hello there i have my mot soon i have a nova c20xe on a 1992 plate with a 1993 engine from a calibra its just a question regarding mot what things do i need to be looking out for i know its a wide angle question but if i can get a list of things that i can check before mot it will be less on the day to worry about and also people could look at this as like a check list for future mots any help will be greatly appreciated :thumb:

TANKNOVA
14-09-11, 11:45 AM
side lights
dipped beam
full beam
rear side lights
rear brake lights
indercators working not flashing to fast and are not showing white light
headlights are not cloudy in bad condition
horn
seatbelts that are fitted to the car all work if theres a belt there must be something to plug it in to
all seats are fitted and not loose
make shore theres no bad rust ie any where near a structual point and seat belt mountings
jack the car up and check that nothings losse no bushes look worn etc
check brake lines and fuel lines for deteriation
check the exhast is not blowing
check tyre depth and wear
check handbrake to make shore its not to high and works
check the brakes as best you can make shore there not warn pittied etc

thats pritty much it !

turbojolt
14-09-11, 11:45 AM
Lights brake pads and discs tyres all the normal stuff make sure all the seat belts lock up not rust holes.or cracks in the windscreen remove any air frenshers or furry dice on your rear veiw mirror

Alex J
14-09-11, 12:03 PM
Er rust!!!!!!!lollollollol

MattBrown
14-09-11, 12:13 PM
Make sure you got the engine from a pre 1992 car, not 1993 as you said....

For emmissions.....

vx mad
14-09-11, 12:40 PM
cheers guys i have booked it in for next week oooohhh im not looking forward to it rust could be a bit of an issue but its on rear arches and bottom of door sills but not that bad, tyres maybe an issue and exhaust. but will let you know the outcome

its funny init you think get a nova but they forget to say remortgage your house first though pmsl

Jack
14-09-11, 12:41 PM
Make sure you got the engine from a pre 1992 car, not 1993 as you said....

For emmissions.....
No need, it'll go through on a pre-cat test. It won't be in the service book.

Stuart
14-09-11, 12:51 PM
Just put it in and see what it fails on as every tester is different and therefore you could spend ages 'fixing something' that didnt actually need doing.

vx mad
15-09-11, 10:56 AM
cheers guys heres a couple of pics it wont be as nice as some of the beasts on here but its a work in progress
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i337/aldawn1/Picture090.jpg
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i337/aldawn1/trax%202011/CAM_0308.jpg

phunkynova
15-09-11, 07:00 PM
Your going to have to sort that number plate out! it won't pass like that lol

vx mad
16-09-11, 07:42 AM
Your going to have to sort that number plate out! it won't pass like that lol

will do pmsl :thumb:

Asa-James
16-09-11, 03:53 PM
seatbelts that are fitted to the car all work if theres a belt there must be something to plug it in to
all seats are fitted and not loose
!

if there are no rear seats the the rear belts are not classed as seat belts, therefore if theres no stalks, just pull the rear bench out, no fail :)

1)make sure all the seat belts lock up
2)not rust holes
3)or cracks in the windscreen
4)remove any air frenshers or furry dice on your rear veiw mirror

1) not checked, only condition and if the stalk holds
2)small holes are allowed, even in prescribed areas, at testers discretion wheather its structural or not
3)crack in the screen that do not obstruct the drivers view of the road are allowed
4)same as above, at testers discretion if it does not obstruct the drivers view of the road

i'm a power crazy pedantic tester :)

vx mad
17-09-11, 04:36 PM
cheers guys this thread has been really informative so next thursday the nova is in and i will put up what its failed on !

vx mad
27-09-11, 09:31 AM
sorry its a little late but trying to source parts but nova did fail with about 20 minors which i thought wasnt that bad best thing is nothing major heres a shortened down list
1 no horn 2 windscreen washers 3 indicator switch faulty 4 both indicators not secure 5 side repeaters missing 6 reg plate bulb 7 fuel filter insecure 8 brake pipe not supported 9 lower ball joint suspension securing nut not secure 10 fuel tank leaking 11 wheel bearing 12 both headlamp aims are to low
the rest was advisorys
1 bonnet stay insecure 2 battery insecure 3 brake flexis all require new clips 4 handbrake cable chaffing on exhaust and fuel tank
as you can see not too bad fr a 20 year old car but the mot isnt due till january so putting it through an mot a few months earlier to see what it will fail on is worthwhile cos you cant have a pre mot check now £55 well spent if you ask me

good news is no rust issues happy days

phazer
27-09-11, 09:39 AM
You should pass without side repeaters as you have the mk2 wrap around front indicators.

Jack
27-09-11, 10:11 AM
1 no horn
2 windscreen washers
3 indicator switch faulty
4 both indicators not secure
5 side repeaters missing
6 reg plate bulb
7 fuel filter insecure
8 brake pipe not supported
9 lower ball joint suspension securing nut not secure
10 fuel tank leaking
11 wheel bearing
12 both headlamp aims are to low

To be fair, 1 to 6 are all items you should have known before submitting it lol

vx mad
27-09-11, 11:02 AM
i did mate i was thinking what you said about the indicators but wouldnt take long to wire some up but just showing everyone what it failed on :thumb:

also this is my first old car and its just taking some getting used to :)