PDA

View Full Version : help with a cam please.

shorty249
11-09-11, 10:00 PM
hi folks,

i have put a cam in my c14se today whilst doing the head gasket, i brought the cam second hand, it was sold to me as a kent cam (supersports stock rod). but im not sure if it is to be honest.

whilst doing the work to the nova today i took the hydraulic tappets apart and cleaned the old oil out, making sure they went back together lubricated with fresh oil.
put the engine back together, but when started wouldnt idle( timing issue- not a problem)
but it was tapping quite alot (not the valves touching the pistons)

on the end of the cam (distributer end) it has the following; jb35 , kcgts4 , 108 , 0351 , 6xkc270.

do any of you know what these mean as i'v tried to cross reference the numbers with the kent cam website. i assume the kc270 is the duration of the cam which makes me think its a nv062 cam??

any help or advice is much apprieciated.
glen.

tommy8252
11-09-11, 10:48 PM
Kcgts4 should be the cam code but a quick Google brings it up as a tarmac rally cam for a ford pinto engine.

shorty249
12-09-11, 04:19 AM
Tommy, well done mate, ha why didn't I try that :confused:
I've email the bloke but doubt he'll do anything for me as I did buy it about 9 months ago.
Looks like it'll be coming back out tonite :mad:
Thinking about it now funny all the oil ways line up and the cam sits tidy in the cam carrier? Almost as if the stamping is wrong, surely a pinto cam wouldn't fit a vauxhall?
Thanks again mate

garyc
12-09-11, 01:13 PM
If it came out of a stock rod then it will more than likely be a solid lifter cam. You could try http://www.jbracingmotorsport.co.uk/ I am pretty sure they do their own cams and as they are a KC agent I suspect that Kent will grind them.

Also the hydraulic tappets do make a bit of noise until they have run for a minute or two and filled with oil.

mowgli
12-09-11, 04:16 PM
Tommy, well done mate, ha why didn't I try that :confused:
I've email the bloke but doubt he'll do anything for me as I did buy it about 9 months ago.
Looks like it'll be coming back out tonite :mad:
Thinking about it now funny all the oil ways line up and the cam sits tidy in the cam carrier? Almost as if the stamping is wrong, surely a pinto cam wouldn't fit a vauxhall?
Thanks again mate

pinto cams are way different to a nova cam.. but it might have the same profile as one....

shorty249
12-09-11, 06:00 PM
It cam out of a autograss class 5 car (1.4 8v) unsure of the spec of the engine.
I'v run her for a couple of mins and she's still tapping, so have come to the conclusion that the cam is pushing the oil out of the lifters??
Ye after thinking about it , there's a hole in the end of the cam for the dizzy, pintos dizzy comes out the side of the block, driven off the oil pump if I remember correctly.
Mite just put her back standard tonight till I buy solids for it.

boomtings1
12-09-11, 08:37 PM
changed the tappets on my mates c20xe and was tappin when started, evan when it warmed up. So he took it for a gentle drive and didnt take long for them to quieten down. aAnd now that there done it doesnt even tap on start up when cold. So maybe try taking it for a drive

shorty249
12-09-11, 10:26 PM
right then guys, i'v got to eat my words now. put the standard cam in tonight, had trouble starting it, got it running by playing with the dizzy. it ran but was missing quite bad. done a compression test 1, 190psi 2, 160psi 3, 190psi 4, 0psi. head off 7 bent valves (so it was the valves touching the pistons) even tho i turned her over by hand with the plugs out before the first start up after the engine re-assemble. obviously couldn't feel them touching at the time!!.

this is the kent cam look it says nv062 but has xxxxx over the top off it
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee61/shorty_249/IMAG0008.jpg

and this is the dizzy end with all the numbers on it.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee61/shorty_249/IMAG0009.jpg

?????????????????????????????????

i'v got spare valves so will re-seat them tomoz and see how it goes from there.

Damo
12-09-11, 10:30 PM
7 bent valves and your still getting 190psi compression readings??????

shorty249
12-09-11, 10:52 PM
ye only the two vaves on port 4 were bent enough to see by eye, stripped all the valves out and put them in the lathe and there bent ever so slightly (slight dent marks on the piston to proove it lol) but because i'v got spares i want change them just to be safe.

tommy8252
12-09-11, 11:02 PM
Good effort fella, I wonder why its got all those other stamps in it then as my nvo62 only has the one code in it.

shorty249
13-09-11, 06:44 AM
I don't know I'm wondering if its been reprofiled maybe?

garyc
13-09-11, 11:05 AM
see my post earlier wrt cam source.

shorty249
14-09-11, 11:13 PM
Well the nova lives again, she's back standard now, but runs like a watch now ha ha,

tom reid
15-09-11, 09:41 PM
Fancy selling your other cam?

shorty249
15-09-11, 10:02 PM
i might have already sold it, i will know tomorrow, il let you know. cheers.