PDA

View Full Version : cheapest way to the track

bai1ey
09-09-11, 11:49 PM
so what the cheapest way to the track peeps
build a car? whats needed by what tracks safty wise?
price per track day?
best car for track project (ON A TIGHT BUDGET)
so people what your opinion
discuss plese

bazil
09-09-11, 11:53 PM
My brother is doing the following,

Vectra gsi MSD 2.5v6, strip interior, em that's it lol he already owns the car do it's as cheap as you'll get, in fact buying a new crash helmet will cost more that track prepping his car

bai1ey
09-09-11, 11:56 PM
are the aroedrome track days the best option or does it not really matter

bazil
10-09-11, 12:00 AM
Well up here we only have crail for 1/4 mile and knockhill so were limited :(

Each track has different rules, some may want the cars mot'd and a full licence ti get on track some don't,

I think it's around £70 for sessioned trackdays at knockhill

Go to trackdays.co.uk and look at circuits for prices and a wee how to on there too

mowgli
10-09-11, 08:04 AM
just turn up in a std road car and take spare wheels... cost of car +£100 for track time & a bacon sandwich....

bai1ey
10-09-11, 12:02 PM
so what do we think the best budget track car is must be retro looking and not a frech car

paul james
10-09-11, 12:13 PM
so what do we think the best budget track car is must be retro looking and not a frech car

Well there is a pretty obvious answer to this, given what forum you are on!

bai1ey
10-09-11, 12:21 PM
yes but it wouldnt be that much of a budget car then will it as you have to up grade breaks and suspention and things to make it proform anything near well.
i know 172/182 clios are very good out the box on the track but i dont want french and i dont want to be like alot of other people

paul james
10-09-11, 12:32 PM
yes but it wouldnt be that much of a budget car then will it as you have to up grade breaks and suspention and things to make it proform anything near well.
i know 172/182 clios are very good out the box on the track but i dont want french and i dont want to be like alot of other people

You can pick up track prepared Novas quite cheaply, and really you'll save more in the long run by spending a bit more to begin with - i.e buy a car with a cage already in it. You can get uprated suspension and brakes for a nova for very little, 256mm brakes etc. Yes you might be able to buy a cheap french car which has better standard spec, but well worn standard suspension for instance isn't neccesarily going to be better.

Whatever you buy, you can easily start spending big money. If your pushing a car hard on track, you want it all to be right. At least with a Nova its all easy to work on, and uprated Nova parts are often cheaper than the standard stuff for other cars.

Mieran
10-09-11, 12:52 PM
MK4 Astra would be my choice

turbojolt
10-09-11, 01:47 PM
Not really retro tho mk4 astra

nova_stee
10-09-11, 02:42 PM
go french pug 205 1.9 gti quick standard good handling

Curtoise
10-09-11, 04:43 PM
french are the ultimate cheap mobiles and normally good at handling, i would go for a nova tho. maybe even a corsa b sport or something as they can be tuned fairly cheaply and parts are cheap

nova_stee
10-09-11, 05:19 PM
can i put honey on my infant yeast infection 11 (http://getyeastinfectionhomeremedy.com/can-i-put-honey-on-my-infant-yeast-infection-11/) male yeast infection symptoms , candida albicans yeast infection , canine yeast infection symptoms , pics of a yeast infection , treatments for a yeast infection , what is a yeast infection , treat yeast infection at home. otc yeast infection
Am not sure

turbojolt
10-09-11, 05:55 PM
Bloody nova prices are going through the roof right now getting silly, imo they cost to much as a base for a cheap trackday car, corsa b ftw that's what I'm planning for mine soon anyways

blue_peg_16v
10-09-11, 05:57 PM
I would say forget retro if on a budget anything decent for track attracts a premium, I'd personally go for a 1.6 corsa sport start of relatively standard just strip the crap out of it then gradually upgrade the 1.6 can make an exalt track engine and if you get board an xe is jus a few spammers away also can pick early sports up wi TNT for £400 may not look the best but as long as it's mechanically sound who cares kitty litter ruins paint anyway

Mike
10-09-11, 06:21 PM
Boggo standard Corsa Sports are a right hoot to drive to be honest.

turbojolt
10-09-11, 06:23 PM
What about a rover 216 gsi 115hp Honda engine cheap light'ish my old man's use to handle alright could be a laught when its all stripped out and plenty of engine tuning parts available for the old d series Honda engine

blue_peg_16v
10-09-11, 06:26 PM
I used to love the corsa Gsi I had years ago all I did was suspension wheels exhaust and filter was an n reg last of line in White would run rings round a nova IMO must be the slightly wider track never had a nova handle like that had full Joni adjustsables but then the car was only 3 year old at the time, Jesus this thread is making me want another lol

Mike
10-09-11, 06:27 PM
What about a rover 216 gsi 115hp Honda engine cheap light'ish my old man's use to handle alright could be a laught when its all stripped out and plenty of engine tuning parts available for the old d series Honda engine

Stick to what you know well IMO. Last thing you want on a trackday is something to go wrong & have no idea where to even start looking to rectify the problem.

turbojolt
10-09-11, 06:31 PM
Stick to what you know well IMO. Last thing you want on a trackday is something to go wrong & have no idea where to even start looking to rectify the problem.

fair enough mate, just a thought

Balley
10-09-11, 06:35 PM
JUst spend a grand and get a half decent Nova/Corsa that has a bit of power and some good brakes tyres and suspension.