PDA

View Full Version : non start after fitting trumpets

t40nova
08-09-11, 04:13 PM
hi guys wonder if u could help,had a set of k&n filters on my nova i decided to swap them for trumpets today now the dam thing wont start! it has a set of twin 40s.it wants to fire but just wont go.i had the plugs out 2 had fuel on it and 2 didnt any info would b great thanks

paul james
08-09-11, 04:29 PM
Check your fuel pipes going to the carbs, see if theres fuel going through to each carb with no blocks or leaks. The additon of trumpets alone shouldn't stop it from starting, so you may have just disturbed something when working on it..

t40nova
08-09-11, 04:47 PM
yeah theres fuel getting to them mate could it be drawing to much air? the guy across the road set them up with the filters on at the w.e it took a bit to get started when warm but from cold with some choke it fired up fine.just thought adding trumpets has messed it up.could the oil breather thing cause anything it was attatched to the k&n filters now its just hangin around the servo area?

swedge
08-09-11, 04:52 PM
knocked a plug lead of or something?

t40nova
08-09-11, 04:57 PM
all attached bud bloody annoyin now ill have a look around the area i was workin too see if ive knocked somthing.was lookin forward to hearing the growl lol

paul james
08-09-11, 04:59 PM
You don't need the oil breather pipe connected, and actually its better that you don't as your carbs can then breath clean air instead of oil vapour. Chances are it will make a bit of a mess in your engine bay unless you put something on the end of the pipe, an 'oil breather catch tank', or just into an empty drinks can will do.

Theres two breather pipes that come from the crankcase ventilator at the back of the engine, a larger one which spews out oil remnants, and a much thinner one - which on my car (also running twin40's) is blocked off with a screw in the end of it.

Trumpets will make a slight difference to how it drives, but there must be something else at fault for it not to start. Check your ignition leads, take the distributer cap off and see if its clean and dry inside etc.

t40nova
08-09-11, 05:26 PM
thanks mate im at work nw will get the dizzy off and clean ect.will keep u updated :)

phunkynova
08-09-11, 08:35 PM
Even with trumpets you should have some form of filter to stop foreign objects getting it to the engine if not well be it on you around £100 for filter or rebuild engine.

t40nova
08-09-11, 09:59 PM
wee update:stuck my finger in the carb ports and found that 2 of the wee circle things inside were wobbly u can slide them out the ports what ate they? the other 2 didnt move quite as much could they be my problem?the 2 that have a bit of play are soaking in fuel. as u can c i dont hve a clue about carbs any help welcome lol :)

t40nova
09-09-11, 09:17 PM
turned out to be spark plugs guys changed them over and it went 1st turn :D trumpets are on found a set of piper x filters all goin good now need to get some pictures/vids posted up