PDA

View Full Version : Converting f20 to hydraulic clutch using a race clutch

Gareth_C
08-09-11, 01:39 PM
Hi all. I'm looking into making my f20 into a hudraulic clutch. I'm using a AP 7.25" twin plate clutch I was wondering has anybody achieved it. I have spoke to SBD and they haven't really touched this situation as the kit they sell suits rwd box's. I'm trying to find the correct bearing to use in the box. I know the bearing needs 54mm diameter and the clutch is max 47.50mm thick. AP bearing seem to use a Saab 9000 & 900 bolt pattern to fit to the box are these simular to the f20 bearing turret.
Any help much appreciated. Cheers Gareth

MARTIN KELSON
09-09-11, 09:42 PM
Didnt Rick Draper run F20 with hydraulic clutch?

Maybe worth dropping him a PM

Gareth_C
10-09-11, 08:52 AM
I'm not sure mate I'll top a pm and ask cheers

joff-turbo-nova
10-09-11, 08:56 AM
Do a search on converting the F28 to hydraulic as this has been done a few times on the C20LET conversions done on the Vectra B which runs hydraulic.

I know the F17 box on my Meriva is also hydraulic so should have a similar input shaft diameter - maybe worth while having a look at one in a breakers to see how the bolt onto the gearbox?

Joff

Andy
10-09-11, 08:58 AM
What are the advatages of doing it??
Would it be a concentric slave??

Jon_nova1
10-09-11, 09:15 AM
I assume you'd remove the clutch arm and feed the Hydraulic pipe through that, then you'd need a spacer for where the old thrust arm/fork used to be or a wider Hydraulic thrust bearing to compensate for the removal of the thrust arm/fork then hook the other end upto your hydraulic pedal with regards to the saab 9000 it is GM i seem to recall Jack?? trying to get one into a nova so maybe speak to him and see if he knows anything about the bearing or what GM gearbox it was.

from what i can find the F20 does bolt straight to the saab 900 but you have to use the vauxhall flywheel, if the depth of the saab flywheel and vaux flywheel are the same then theoretically the saab 900 kit should work, but its all trial and error tbh, i've just had the joys of mating an F28 to a 1.7TD so know how many possibilities there are lol

Gareth_C
10-09-11, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the input I know the f18 assembly will fit buy with me running a twin plate clutch I'm not sure if there's enough room between the inside of the bellhousing and pressure plate. Ap do a bearing on a Saab 900 fitment and also a Saab 9000 fitment??

Jon_nova1
10-09-11, 04:27 PM
Are they the same part number?? i'd say the 900 would be most likely to fit, it just depends on what i said above

Gareth_C
10-09-11, 05:55 PM
All the website says its interchangeable with the Saab 900 & 9000 and gives the corresponding Saab part no's

BRoadGhost
16-09-11, 05:17 PM
If you measure the the o.e clutch depth vs the racing item surely they should be quite close else the o.e cable pulled bearing wouldn't be suitable...

With that in mind why wouldn't just a vectra hydraulic slave work?