PDA

View Full Version : Tree Stump removal

Pete
07-09-11, 11:11 PM
My grandad has recently got back him previous house after 6 years of neglect by previous tennants.
He had a HollyBush in the garden that became really overgrown and we chain sawed it down, started to dig away at the roots, seemed to have got all the major ones cut, but struggling to get the stump out.

Has anyone ever removed a stump with an engine crane? If so was it easy?

Only tools I have to hand are, ChainSaw, Sledge Hammer, Bow saw, Axe, Pick Axe, Spade and trowles.

John
07-09-11, 11:13 PM
bore large hole in stump, insert small amount of expolsive, stand back.

Novasport
07-09-11, 11:15 PM
I have just help clear a neighbours garden and removed some stubborn stumps using a ratchet puller. Secured it to a washing line post I knew was well concreted in then roped up the stump and pulled it out with the ratchet.

Pete
07-09-11, 11:22 PM
Forgot to mention, my gran dad wants to keep the stump as he does wood work and thinks he can make 2 bowls out of it as apprently it's nice wood :S

So it has to be pulled up,
Seems a good idea that NovaSport, may be worth a go, I've lost hope on it now as I've spent the last 2 days on it 11-7 and has worn me out "/

Jackroadkill
07-09-11, 11:53 PM
Good luck, Pete - they're a sod to remove. Have pulled them out using a vehicle before. You dig down as deep as possible, wrap a chain all the way around the stump as far down as you can get it and tow it out. That's assuming you can get a vehicle close enough to do it safely.

Southie
08-09-11, 08:04 AM
Here you go Pete, some tips CLICKME (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A4643462)

turbojolt
08-09-11, 08:12 AM
We use to do one of two things whrn I was in lanndscaping ither dig it out or get a tree surge to come around with this.rotorvator type machine that chops it up under ground ither work the second one is the easiest lol

Also have a uncle that just drills right down the.stump then puts old engine oil on it dunno how well that works tho tbh

Paul
08-09-11, 08:58 AM
Digger ftw.

Jon_nova1
08-09-11, 09:07 AM
we tried to get one out with a car and tow rope once.....it snapped the tow rope

Alex J
08-09-11, 09:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6PGKcVr-8s&feature=related

Pete
08-09-11, 09:32 AM
There no room to fit a car into the garden, it's pretty enclosed.
Can anyone enlighten me about wetting the soil around it and if that will actually help or not?
I'm still thinking engine crane and hoist it out.

Don't know if already mentioned but it sits almost flush with a fence and a shed the other side of the fence, there's about 4" before the stump touches the fence.

turbojolt
08-09-11, 09:40 AM
Don't wet the ground all that will do is make it harder for you to stand there will working lol

I use to dig around as much as possible the mathock the surrounding roots off ant the pry it out with a spike

turbojolt
08-09-11, 09:41 AM
Don't wet the ground all that will do is make it harder for you to stand there will working lol

I use to dig around as much as possible the mathock the surrounding roots off ant the pry it out with a spike

Nebbz
08-09-11, 10:16 AM
attatch to 4x4 dig around the stump as much as poss, and drive :)

DR Kauffman
08-09-11, 10:26 AM
i'm a tree surgeon, usually we get a stump grinder (massive flywheel with teeth) to grind it out. this does obliterate it tho ...

but if you want to keep it for woodturning i'd get down a grub it it out with a pickaxe. i find leaving about 1m 1m 1/2 of the trunk to use as leverage breaking off the roots helps

be careful turning as you can find at root level a lot of stones incorperated into the wood.

hope this helps

pm me if not

Pete
08-09-11, 12:04 PM
The stump has been cut and no leverage what so ever. Rookie mistake I know...

I think I've managed to axe all the roots so far, I'm about 3/4 of a metre down and can't find anymore, spade is going down no problem.
It's just this fence is becoming a nightmare as I can't get the ones on the other side, I know this method blunts the chain but we can easily replace it, anyone ever done a trench around a stump and chainsawed it across under the ground?