PDA

View Full Version : Power cap V sfi box

simonm
07-09-11, 09:31 PM
What are the real benefits of a power cap on a xe I like the look of the sfi box as it looks tidy but have a sparco strut brace that won't fit unless I fit a power cap what are peoples opinions on these which is best .
Stick with sfi and get a new strut brace or stick on the power cap

Lewis.
07-09-11, 09:36 PM
I much prefer the look of the SFI box too, and I'm led to believe that whilst the powercap may give you a couple extra bhp, it makes it a bit 'peaky' and less easy to drive at low speeds. never had one myself, just what i've read over the years. also i refuse to pay £100 for something that does the same job as an XEV inlet hose lol

i say get a new strut brace :thumb:

Andy
powercap gives 20bhp

swedge
isnt the main reason people fit a powercap so they can fit a strut brace

swedge
07-09-11, 09:37 PM
powercap gives 20bhp

19.8 to be precise, unless of course its blue then its 20

Andy
07-09-11, 09:38 PM

Everyday is a learning day eh?!

Lewis.
07-09-11, 09:39 PM

but the red ones give 30. in fact any other red component adds 5bhp lol

simonm
07-09-11, 09:41 PM
But I could replace or modify one to suit the sfi box not so sure on 20 bhp thaught more like 3 or 4 it's just I already have the power cap to I have one on my astra gsi so can swap one from each over but if it was a good increase I'd sacrifice looks maybe

swedge
07-09-11, 09:41 PM

even vauxhall flame pink?

simonm
07-09-11, 09:43 PM

My hole car is red even red carpet so it must have eleventy million bhp lol

Andy
07-09-11, 09:45 PM
But I could replace or modify one to suit the sfi box not so sure on 20 bhp thaught more like 3 or 4 it's just I already have the power cap to I have one on my astra gsi so can swap one from each over but if it was a good increase I'd sacrifice looks maybe
it was a joke btw,its every ad says cos its got a powercap it adds 20 bhp

simonm
07-09-11, 09:49 PM
it was a joke btw,its every ad says cos its got a powercap it adds 20 bhp

Had an idea it was a joke alrite as with 500 quid cams you won't even gain that lol

Think I'll stick with the sfi box keep that factory look also might be going down the ITB route soonish

Spudly
07-09-11, 09:58 PM
Supposedly they add a little bhp and are a better air flow into the inlet, cant see it myself as the air flow into the inlet is controlled by the butterfly in the TB, so it doesnt matter how good the air flow into the TB is, it will only allow as much air through as the butterfly/TB allows:p

I personally think the powercrap looks poo, and the later SFi box looks miles better:thumb:

Lewis.
07-09-11, 10:08 PM
even vauxhall flame pink?

no, unfortunately flame pink is the same as pulling 3 plug leads off lol thats why i've painted my rocker cover carmine red for maximum performance lol

My hole car is red even red carpet so it must have eleventy million bhp lol

lmao this is 100% true lol

John
07-09-11, 10:16 PM
On my old xe nova there was no difference on the rollers powercap vs sfi box. the torque figure was better with the sfi box and The car felt and drove better with the sfi box on. The idea of the sfi box was to store a large bank of air for sudden throttle bursts.

simonm
08-09-11, 09:22 AM
That seems enough opinions for me I'll be leaving my sfi box on I also think the power cap looks a bit poo thanks for all the replys guys

scott.parker
08-09-11, 09:57 AM
SFI box is meant to be better, but depends what one you have if it will clear the bulk, plus if the engines on solid mounts etc if it's going to smack the bulk head with engine movement, as i had the SFI box on my first xe nova, and i split the box and wore the paint off the bulk head as i killed the mounts etc from movement, so i switched to power cap to stop this from happening, but if i was you would get the xev pipe too, and try all three, but it all depends on the factors i mentioned above mate.

And as i believe it there is 3 variants of SFI box?

Scott

Mazz
08-09-11, 10:21 AM
I run a power cap on mine purely for room, tbh in the real world, there won't be any noticeable difference between the 2 imo

....and the later SFi box looks miles better:thumb:

So you've got an early one because?!

Just the 2 afaik Scott

GRUNT 16V
08-09-11, 10:31 AM
sfi box for me !

scott.parker
08-09-11, 11:38 AM
I run a power cap on mine purely for room, tbh in the real world, there won't be any noticeable difference between the 2 imo

So you've got an early one because?!

Just the 2 afaik Scott

I was under the impression that the Early mk2 Astra one's like i had were different to the Cav one, and then the later one's on Calibra's?

Damo
08-09-11, 11:48 AM
SFI box ftw!