PDA

View Full Version : autosprint 288 cams

jonn
07-09-11, 06:19 PM
anyone used the autosprint 288 cams in a c20xe? do they fit with standard pistons and what sort of bhp figures were you getting?

16v Nova Kev
07-09-11, 06:26 PM
i had newman 288s and had piston to valve contact. i had to time it one tooth out. hope that helps.

MK999
07-09-11, 07:19 PM
288's are fairly lairy and will almost definitely need fancy pistons, timing it one tooth out is somewhat counterintuitive, as the cams then won't work at their best so you may as well downspec to a cam that fits and works better.

jonn
07-09-11, 07:40 PM
i was thinking they might be to big, the next step down is the 276 so they should be fine with standard pistons

MK999
07-09-11, 07:41 PM
Best bet is to ring them tbh, they will tell you exactly what you need in terms of pistons, springs, caps, followers etc.

C612DNM
07-09-11, 11:20 PM
The issue you have is that the standard engine is an interference lump - which normally means one tooth advanced on the cam leads to mashed valves and pistons. Retarding the cam will move the powerband up the revs quite a lot at one tooth out.

A 288 pair isn't that hot. Race cams are in the 300-320 region. In the old days before television, a 265 cam was a "towing cam", a 275 = mild road, 285 = fast road, up to 320 for race cams.

With twincam engines you get the ability to mix & match inlet and exhaust cams.

If a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing properly.

They had a saying at the council....... look after your broom....

Will F
08-09-11, 08:31 AM
Autosprint quote that their 288 cams can work on standard pistons - which highligts their 'use'

Kent AST1612s (and equivalent) are the only 'proper' cam you can fit without touching the pistons - I would avoid Autosprint tbh

philip
08-09-11, 12:38 PM
ive used autosprint springs and valve caps...lad decided he would save money buy buying them and not pipers i can supply. it cost him some valves, lifters, piper cap, head out again etc etc. the valve caps were machined wrong on the taper or not hardened correctly.

as for 288s...its the lift not the duration thats the problem. think you could run about 350thou lift and still have a good piston to valve clearance(60thou = 1.5m) i wouldnt rerally go for ast1612s either as even though they give 4or5bhp more peak the standard cams give more torque and midrange from nothing compared and ive got rolling road printouts to prove too from the same car/rolling road.

Gareth_C
08-09-11, 01:31 PM
Iirc Dave Dixon ran these on STD piston when he was running and xe on bike carbs. TBF with Autosprint he is a budget builders dream his parts are reasonable and I have used his cams, springs, valves, rods, pistons etc I'm still using one of his cranks now. I think it's what your budget is really. Have only upgraded to branded gear due to being at the high end scale. Speak to steveboyslim he will be able to help you though cam ideas ;)

MK999
08-09-11, 07:28 PM
If they're 288's and they run on standard pistons then the lift must be near bugger all over standard.

jonn
08-09-11, 10:39 PM
it think i will just leave it and wait untill i can get better cams like kent or piper. i am in the middle of rebuilding my c20xe and was going to treat it to a nice set of big cams.
thanks for the help.