PDA

View Full Version : 1 litre nova with gsi engine starter wiring

therealnovaboy
07-09-11, 11:52 AM
I have a 1 litre nova starter circuit with 4 wires, and a gsi engine and starter. 12v batt to alt and thin wire for charge light connected to alt. 12v from batt to alt to starter and thin wire red/blk from ign to starter. There is a thin black wire think it goes to the ign coil. Where dose this go. Note there are three terminals on the starter solenoid. Two big across solenoid contact and one small for solenoid coil where the ign wire connects.

Is ther an extra connection on a 1 litre starter that I'm missing. The drawing in the banes shows the black wire connected to which looks like an extra contact the solenoid pulls in.

Pics of a 1 litre starter wired up would help.

mowgli
07-09-11, 11:58 AM
remove the little black wire completely & throw it in the canal....(or recycle it)

it is to do with the old fashioned 6v coil the 1.0 uses.. to get the 6v voltage correct, they use a ballast resisted wire from the ign switch to the coil. but when cranking the engine over, the voltage drops too low & it won't spark, so the extra wire from the starter to the coil boosts the voltage so it will fire...

basically, all this lot needs removing & a new wire from the ign switch connecting where the old (clear covered) ballast wire went. then it will start properly.

therealnovaboy
07-09-11, 12:05 PM
Cheers mowgli. So let me get this clear. The red black wire is from the ign switch and that connects to the starter solenoid. The black wire is removed and a new wire from the ign is fitted to the clear wire? Where dose the clear wire go?

mowgli
07-09-11, 12:16 PM
You remove the clear wire & replace it. The new wire is then used to power the feed to the ecu circuit, which is black.