PDA

View Full Version : Help please, replacing GTE engine

Stu-e
04-09-11, 09:55 PM
Hi everyone,

After racking my brain all weekend I need help from you guys.

Like a numpty I set out in my nova GTE e160se engine on a journey stereo turned up high an the oil gauge not working as got the astra digi dash in an it wasn't wired up. Anyway long story short I ran out of oil an the engine seized up.

Had it towed and took the spark plugs out and added oil an rocked it in gear also tried to turn it an it's not gonna budge :(

Can people recommend options please??

She just had a new starter motor an rose jointed quick shift fitted, had it tuned with induction kit and a sweet exhaust system so in an ideal world I would rather just replace the engine but there few an far between. I believe that the only engines I can do a straight swap for are upto mk2 astras so please correct me If I'm wrong.

I'm thinking just buy a cheap vectra or astra an swap everything, if I do this is there any particular car I should look for that will make the job easier?

Not gonna cut my losses, got it looking too nice to let it go.

Thanks

mowgli
04-09-11, 10:11 PM
mk3 astra 1.6 8v mpi is the best bet.. there were loads of c16se's fitted to them.

Stu-e
05-09-11, 02:32 AM
Not having much joy finding a mk3 astra fir sale near me either but will keep trying. Do you think I'm floggin a dead horse makin any further attempts to unseize it?

Edd
05-09-11, 04:15 AM
I would just get another engine tbh if its deffo seized

Where are you located ? Might help people trying to point you in the right direction

Stu-e
05-09-11, 12:16 PM
I'm in Sheffield south Yorkshire but prepared to travel for a cost effective solution

tom reid
05-09-11, 03:21 PM
I have a few 1600 engines, all stripped though, it wouldn't be difficult to put one together, or take yours out and bring it down, we'll have a looksee at what the problem is, I have seen one that was saved with a hone, a piston and new rings, so you never know.

Riggy
06-09-11, 05:55 PM
yeah as ed said you can get another e16 quite easy of here , £100 very tops and just swap that , have you checked the for sale section ,

colin smith always has them aswell ,

another option that i would consider is a c16xe from a early corsa gsi , small block 16v engine , look very nice in nova's :)

mowgli
06-09-11, 10:55 PM
you could get an 8v bottom end from a later astra for low money & it ought to fit too..