PDA

View Full Version : pierburg 2e3

marc69
04-09-11, 09:14 PM
I got my 2e3 working properly yesterday, realised the linkage wasn't connected to the 2nd throttle.

Today, the second throttle is not opening at all now. I have checked the mechansim and the vacuum works so I can only assume that the carb is not creating the vacum or it is not reaching the vacum pipe?

marc69
05-09-11, 06:03 PM
Any ideas please?

garyc
05-09-11, 06:10 PM
perhaps the diaphram has split\ perished. If you take the pipe off you should be able to tell if is pulling an vacuum. or you could suck the tube and see if it moves, you will need to have the 1st barrel open though.

marc69
05-09-11, 09:43 PM
Thanks for that, I think I found the problem, the vacuum works, it is the pipe bit from the carb isn't giving a vacum on acceleration. I couldn't blow through the pipe or discover where it leads.

Eventually (after mucking about with every vacum and setting on the carb) I had the idea of push wd40 with a syringe through the pipe, air must be able to move through it to operate the vacum.

well wd40 came out a hole in the 2nd barrel, then I blew through the pipe and presto (or hopefully once I get all the other settings set again!)

GRUNT 16V
06-09-11, 10:41 AM
The best thing for a pierburg 2e3 is to throw it in the nearest bin to put it out of its misery then hit it with a hammer !
Weber 32/34 dmtl is the best way !

marc69
06-09-11, 08:11 PM
its playing up again!

The best thing for a pierburg 2e3 is to throw it in the nearest bin to put it out of its misery then hit it with a hammer !
Weber 32/34 dmtl is the best way !

You got them to give me?

GRUNT 16V
07-09-11, 12:39 PM
its playing up again!

You got them to give me?
EBAY IS THE WAY FORWARD sold mine about 6 mths ago for about £ 65

marc69
07-09-11, 08:52 PM
Had a look on the bay, looks as though the weber 32 34 just fits straight on without any modifications to the manifold or the air filter?

The single weber on my 1.0 is a great carb so changing to a weber for the SR would probably be a good idea.

Andy
07-09-11, 08:54 PM
You need 2 adapter plates,remove the studs for the pierburg and bolt down the weber adapter plate,then bolt the weber on,then get an adapter plate for the k+n if my memory serves me right.
Either way it really is a worthwhile mod,sounds and goes 100% better!

GRUNT 16V
08-09-11, 10:35 AM
as above !!! just dont use the pierburg kn on the webber !!! as it sits to high and will dent your bonnet !!!! you need to buy a smaller pancake filter for it !

marc69
08-09-11, 09:18 PM
Thanks for this, I'll keep a look out for this carb, I expect the 2e will play up again soon.

I actually got mine going again, for some wierd reason, the choke pull down vacum seems to affect the vacuum for the 2nd barrel, I turned the bit at the back ahalf a dozen times outwards, then drove the car and off it went. Just to make sure I wasn't hopeful thinking, got my mate to drive it up a hill with the 2nd barrel disconnected and then again connected. Even he couldn't believe the difference. Will see how long it lasts........

Mike
08-09-11, 09:47 PM
I sold a 32/34 back in the day for £160!! They worth funk all now :(

marc69
08-09-11, 09:59 PM
according to an online auction site, they are also used on some vw and fords, would be worth a hunt round the scrappy apart from the jets I suppose