PDA

View Full Version : E16SE wont fire.

matt_vaughan
04-09-11, 12:05 PM
There's no fuel, but a definite spark.

What's the common issues with them not firing?

How long should I be turning it over (engine has been drained, but only for about a week).

As far as i can tell, there's just no fuel getting in, but I cannot work out why.

simonm
04-09-11, 12:07 PM
Is the pump running and are the fuel lines on the rite way round

matt_vaughan
04-09-11, 12:15 PM
Pump is running. Tried the lines both ways round.

simonm
04-09-11, 12:54 PM
Is there any thing coming out of the fuel line if you run it in to a container and are you sure there's plenty of fuel in the tank

Jeff16v
04-09-11, 01:05 PM
Run a battery live to the pump and take off the fuel pipes to see which one has fuel coming out

matt_vaughan
04-09-11, 01:42 PM
Its definately got fuel in the lines. The fuel seems to stop at the injectors. The engine ran before it was removed fine.

I've got a feeling there's a wiring problem

Would the engine turn over and spark if the ECU/AFM/Ignition module wasnt wired in/powered up.

simonm
04-09-11, 01:51 PM
What loom gave you got should only need a couple of wires to get it to run gave you got the multi plug on the loom and what colours are in it 4 wires iirc

matt_vaughan
04-09-11, 02:16 PM
It going into a Corsa...if that helps in any way.
Its a Bosch loom with Siemens Ignition module.

I'm major stuck. It would seem there's no power to the ECU etc as it still turns over the same when I remove the black ignition switched feed to the multiplug (the one with fuel pump/live/tacho/coolant temp connections on), so obviously no signal getting to the injectors.

Therefore, is there a way I can send a switched live straight from the ignition barrel to the plug wiring, or even straight to the ECU/AFM plug to rectify this? And do we rekon this is the problem?

mowgli
04-09-11, 02:30 PM
the power feed to the original ecu needs tapping into

matt_vaughan
04-09-11, 02:50 PM
huge black one? and that's got to come from the largest of the black wires from the ignition switch?

mowgli
04-09-11, 02:54 PM
if it is the wire that feeds the old corsa ecu with permanent ign power when the key is turned, then yes

matt_vaughan
04-09-11, 02:59 PM
Could i tap a wire straight from the ignition switch (im assuming the correct wire is the largest black one which is the one i need to power the ECU), and tap it straight into the wiring for the ecu by cutting the wiring open right next to the ECU/AFM plug?? And if so, does anyone know which colour is the ignition feed for the GTE ECU?

matt_vaughan
04-09-11, 03:55 PM
Right, im so pissed off with this corsa right now. this should not be this hard and I'm definately missing something.

Can someone explain the ECU's feed from the ignition barrel to the ECU?

Balley
04-09-11, 03:58 PM
At the injectors there is a red and blue wire which come from 87B on the Ign relay. It should be live when cranking. Is it?

As mine wasn't and it turned out the relay was corroded up so a simply fix :)

matt_vaughan
04-09-11, 04:04 PM
Ill take a look when I go out in a minute.

I've used the Corsa's Ignition wire (thin black) and that's connected to the back on the E16SE's plug? This is correct yes? It has 12v going across it at all times when the ignition is on.

There is then no power to the injectors (well, a trace amount). I will check what you suggested Bailey cause it could be that.

mowgli
04-09-11, 04:31 PM
the injectors only use a tiny voltage anyway..

check if the fuel pump is actually running when you crank.. it could simply be a flattish battery.

matt_vaughan
04-09-11, 04:33 PM
we've changed batteries and recharged them. it makes no difference when they're full of juice.

the 87b pinout on the relay is fine because I can hear the fuel pump startup which is on the same pinout, and it pumps when turning over (into a bottle check). Therefore, I can only assume the ECU isn't earthing the injectors to "activate" them? I have no idea how to fix this.

mowgli
04-09-11, 04:35 PM
is the earth on the engine loom connected to the bolt on the cam carrier that the icv goes on,? its usually an earth issue if the feeds are ok.

have you got the eml connected?? is there a fault code flashing?

for the cost of carriage, i could lend you my genuine vauxhall e16se engine management tester, it plugs in as a piggy back on the afm ecu connection, and you can test loads of different things with it.

matt_vaughan
04-09-11, 04:40 PM
Yup that earth's fine.

EML isnt connected right now but looks like that might be helpful to see if anything's flashing up.

I'm properly stumped.

I might have to take you up on that offer this week mowgli if I dont get anywhere. We've checked everything now, and it should be running.

matt_vaughan
04-09-11, 05:12 PM
Could it be simply a knackered ECU?

Southie
04-09-11, 05:35 PM
Have you re-checked your timing? It may have jumped a tooth.

Does the Corsa have a immobiliser hidden somewhere or did the Nova engine have one maybe?

matt_vaughan
05-09-11, 08:11 AM
Corsa does have an immobiliser, but that's been taken out of the equation, plus if it was still working in any way, i'm using the original key, so it would be letting it run anyway.

I'm going to replace the fuel relay to see if that works. Otherwise I'm pretty sure its a knackered ECU.

I need to get this running by friday, including tracking done somewhere, and I'm working full time. Its getting pretty tight.

Any chance someone could sort me out with a part no for the relay?

Balley
05-09-11, 12:27 PM
Nahh your wrong Mowgli, they all have 12v to them. Well the should, and the yellow green wire (IIRC) is the Neg trigger.

matt_vaughan
05-09-11, 07:16 PM
Still no joy. I've tried wiring an ignition live onto the injector's 12V feed to see if that would wake them up, still nothing.

Getting to the end of my tether now, ha. I opted for this engine to get rid of all the wiring and electrical issues and space issues faced with the 14XE, and its more hassle working this out.

Adam
05-09-11, 07:27 PM
What model was the car originally? Theres not much that can be wrong, if the ecu has got 12v Red, 12v ign black, and the fuel pump is getting 12v when you crank.
When you turn it over does the fuel pump come on?

The injector red/blue wire is the 12v feed from the pump relay, it should go 12v when you crank(same time as the pump should go live)

matt_vaughan
05-09-11, 09:03 PM
Which red/blue wire goes to the pump? I have two leaving the relay, a thick and a thinner one. Corsanovatuning.nl states the thicker one is for the pump, however this one seems to go back into the loom, whereas the thinner one goes into the plug which I cut for the wiring into the existing car loom and to the pump and ignition barrel.

The car is originally a Corsa B Sport X14XE

Adam
05-09-11, 09:24 PM
The thicker one should be going to the pump. It might go back into the loom to going through the fuse box as it is fused originally, but i aint sure how its wired up on a e16se.
But both those red/blue wires should go 12v when you crank the engine.

If they dont then either the ecu isnt "seeing" the engine turning over, or the relay is fooked.

matt_vaughan
05-09-11, 09:29 PM
Right, I've got the wrong one wired up to the pump then. So where does the small one go to? I'm sure it was going into the plug I had cut.

Adam
05-09-11, 09:38 PM
I couldnt tell you. It should definently be the thicker of the two to the pump because the pump needs a pretty decent wire, it runs through a 20+ amp fuse usually.
The engine to car loom plug in the engine bay should have all the wires you need, which i assume youve already cut to wire it in

matt_vaughan
05-09-11, 09:52 PM
Thats the plug I've cut. Everything is fine apart from fuelling. I just dont know what the small blue/red wiring is about now I know that its not the pump.

mowgli
05-09-11, 10:14 PM
Nahh your wrong Mowgli, they all have 12v to them. Well the should, and the yellow green wire (IIRC) is the Neg trigger.
they might have 12v to them, but the other wire has a controlled wave on it, and the injectors only run a couple of volts on average, its all down to resistance of the injectors & the circuit. if the injectors were switching 12v-0v 100 times a second, they'd need to be huge just to cope with all the heat produced