PDA

View Full Version : do nova steering colums colapse

stevie78
02-09-11, 06:08 AM
When i try to put my steering wheel back on the main shaft pushs back into the colum hense not been able to put the 22mm nut back on .I can jam it and get wheel on but surely this is not right
cheers stevie

Lee H
02-09-11, 06:52 AM
Nearly every Nova I've had has done this. I end up levering the column back up from the rubber damper near the bottom with a screwdriver as I put the wheel on.

If you collapsed it properly like I did once your indicator and wiper stalks will be touching the dash pretty much!

mowgli
02-09-11, 07:37 AM
Was this from an accident, or from you removing it??

stevie78
02-09-11, 04:57 PM
never been in accident.had a few wheels on there tho not sure if its been hit too hard

Bubba
02-09-11, 05:27 PM
a puller is only £8 lol i dont understand why people smash the column with a hammer to get them off.

moffat
02-09-11, 05:29 PM
im having the same problem... tried to get my steering rack and colum attached and then i tried putting a steering wheel on but it just collapsed.. any way of fixing this or do i need a new colum?

mowgli
02-09-11, 05:30 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?114852-*HOW-TO*-Remove-a-gm-steering-wheel-properly

as you can see from the responses, it is common for people to smash a steering wheel off...

moffat
02-09-11, 05:34 PM
i didnt smash mine off i just tried to mount my rack back on and connect it to the colum so i can steer the shell with a steering wheel but now i cant get a steering wheel on back on.