PDA

View Full Version : is it to late

turbojolt
31-08-11, 10:11 PM
I'm 23 and when I left school I got a apprenticeship in mechanics I was only 16 at the time I done really well at the modern apprenticeship I was part off but kept doing naughty stuff wich lead me in to a bit of a stretch, I have always worked but I really miss working around cars now even tho I have a steady job working every week and on a steady wage, I rent a house and have other payments going out but all I ever think about is working on cars and I don't know what to do anymore as I clearly need to keep up with my bills but really want to work alongside my Passion, are there any collage courses going.around.the east mids area you guys knowabout

John
31-08-11, 10:46 PM
Did you pass your apprenticeship or have you any motor vehicle related qualifications at all? what other qualifications do you have? Imho it's never too late. :)

John
31-08-11, 10:49 PM
http://www.derby-college.ac.uk/course-search?dcl_c=43&dcl_t=Part+Time&dcl_k=&do=1

ryansnova
31-08-11, 10:53 PM
i have just started collage in scotland and there is people in it much much older than you dude you can also do a night collage so you can still work through the day ;)

MK999
31-08-11, 11:03 PM
A lot of people on my course at uni are over 30, know of one fella who's 28 and he's on about 10k a year (well 8 months!) in grants etc for being a mature student, ridiculous lol

Connor
01-09-11, 01:44 AM
never too late mate, evening classes are an option so you can still keep your job etc

Garthy1985
01-09-11, 07:12 AM
can sum1 pls tell me y i dnt get any emails off any1 on ere

Jack
01-09-11, 07:42 AM
can sum1 pls tell me y i dnt get any emails off any1 on ere
First, stop text typing.
Second, have a little netiquette and don't hijack someone else's thread.
Then... check your settings. You've got emails and notifications turned off. Click the settings link in the top right to adjust your settings as required.

Andy
01-09-11, 07:57 AM
I looked into this a few years back when i was tired of shi1t jobs after upvc trade just collapsed round here.
Night courses didnt have the recognised qualification at the end of it-you need to do a full time course-which while running your own house is financially impossible i found,apprenticeships-again-how can you have a house etc on £80 a week.
So yeah i do say its too late in my/your position-BUT if you still live at home with the rents then no its not.

turbojolt
01-09-11, 08:14 AM
Might just keep it as a hobbie then and move somewhere with a garage to mess about in lol

turbojolt
01-09-11, 08:21 AM
Did you pass your apprenticeship or have you any motor vehicle related qualifications at all? what other qualifications do you have? Imho it's never too late. :)

Never passed was about to get my level 1 but that when it all went tits up (my own fault) I never liked the whole collage part of the apprenticeship and most weeks only went to the garage, the collage use to annoy me there use to be a bunch of guys just there for 40 quid a week one in particular that annoyed me so much chatting whit will I was trying to learn I bounced a chair of his head after he tryed giving it large to me and the trainer lol nothing ever come of it the tutor even patted me on the back and started to teach me to weld after it lmfao good times good times lol

Andy
01-09-11, 08:26 AM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTlhG2DOdwPITU10KfMfELnIAIvrdgNT lOf8rPtyPXoaIgWXS12...

turbojolt
01-09-11, 08:33 AM
Lol mate if you was there you would understand he started going on about how.his uncle was a yardie blar blar blar I was going to get shoot blar blar blar *bang up side the head with a chair* were is your uncle now lol the tears in his eyes showed how gangster he really was lmfao I know it was wrong but come on like every one doesn't hate these little hoodie gangster wanabes

Alex J
01-09-11, 09:04 AM
well since i left (got booted) out of school, ive either worked on cars, or been a driver (potatos, u.p.s, long distance, parts driver, scaffolding driver, etc) , and i have NO other skills, now im banned due to illness for a year and im 30, id say im ****ed to say the least

Rich
01-09-11, 05:26 PM
I did my apprentiship from when i left school at 17 for 3 years. im glad i did it, BUT if i was to start it now at 23 i would never be able to stick it out. Theres now way you could live on an apprentice wage. You would also start to hate cars, spending a full day trying to get an ecu on a pile of **** 60 plate to program isnt like being at home and tinkering on your nova.

I wouldnt rate a college course too much either, you learn everything in the work place not listening to some bloke waffle on about whats in the book in front of you. Its just 8 weeks of the year to sleep and con your work out of 40quid petrol money.

Not saying dont do it, just from my point of view.

John
01-09-11, 06:45 PM
Depends how serious you are about wanting to do it. I know a lad who joined the motor trade in his mid 20's with no other qualifications other than gcse's. He was offered a job, but offered to fund himself through college. He put himself through level 1,2 and 3 in 18 months and now is a qualified service tech for vw. like he said, depends how much you want to do it, the lad i know was dead set and went all out to get what he wanted. (sale of car and bike included!)