PDA

View Full Version : Stand alone management for XE

simonm
31-08-11, 10:28 AM
So as my project nova is nearly finished and drivable it's now time to start looking for more power so just wondering does any one have any recomendations on stand alone to run 43 mm ITBs can pick up a set and with some small mods can have them fitted all u need do then is get suitable management also at I bit of a budget don't want to spend over the top for some thing if there's an alternative thanks

joshy
31-08-11, 10:42 AM
microsquirt is about as cheap as standalone gets and is fully pre-built so is not to be confused with megasquirt. its reliable. I'm going for Microsquirt on my X18XE1 nova

mowgli
31-08-11, 11:09 AM
keep an eye on ebay, i often see people selling xe ecu's.. search motec/dta etc...

Jonlem
31-08-11, 11:13 AM
Mtech V4 is probably the best you will get on a budget.

http://www.mtechautomotive.co.uk/engine-management/

They are in the middle of doing a group buy on Passionford as well so you may get it even cheaper if you ask nicely ;)

Even the cheapest Motec is double the cost of the Mtech ecu, bit ott really for atmo use.

simonm
31-08-11, 01:16 PM
Basically what I want to do is eliminate my AFM so I can benefit fully from the ITBs is there any other options maybe a custom plenum and keep the AFM what bits are usually needed for xe just so I can get an idea on prices

Stuart
31-08-11, 02:04 PM
Mtech V4 is probably the best you will get on a budget.

http://www.mtechautomotive.co.uk/engine-management/

They are in the middle of doing a group buy on Passionford as well so you may get it even cheaper if you ask nicely ;)

Even the cheapest Motec is double the cost of the Mtech ecu, bit ott really for atmo use.

But its just a mildly tweaked version of megasquirt still :( :) Its a step in the right direction for the project though, and atleast they have some experience calibrating MS.

A little Punctuation from the OP would be useful to properly understand things.

In short, find the person you want to calibrate (map) the engine for you and see what PCM they prefer as if you give them some system they arent familiar with then it will cost more in their time etc blah blah

Alex J
31-08-11, 02:30 PM
i had mbe on mine, pain in the **** to map.

simonm
31-08-11, 02:53 PM
There's a chap not too far from me that has a rolling road and another friend is prity good on mapping so both combined should do the job on it

Basically I've got one mate who will make the manifold and get the TBs to physically fit and I can do all the bits and bobs my self fitting and wiring and that

So it's just to figure out what is the best way of running it all or would I benefit at all by running it on standard management or what will I need in the line of looms and sensors and what can I reuse

Stuart
31-08-11, 04:20 PM
Standard management wont work (well Dilbert would claim you can but it never works right).

simonm
31-08-11, 04:55 PM
What would you recomend Stuart that won't cost me my life lol

It's only in the pipe line at the mo so just wanna try get bits ready for the job

Stuart
31-08-11, 05:06 PM
I'd keep an eye out for a cheap EXP48 DTA or similar from the early 00's (be wary of very old MBE's though as they are a pain to calibrate)

Or megasquirt it if you feel up for a DIY challenge.

OR for even more fun fit a Saab T5 Ecu and use the trionic suite to calibrate things

simonm
31-08-11, 05:21 PM
I think the Saab one sounds a little ott for me as I've never had much dealing with stand alone or mapping so it's a bit of a learning curve for me

Ill keep an eye out for one on the bay or some where
Is it handy to find looms and related components for it

Stuart
31-08-11, 05:25 PM
you generally use all sensors on the engine already (bar MAF) and you make the loom yourself with ease.

simonm
31-08-11, 06:48 PM
A cool thanks for all your help Stuart I think I'll be in touch along the line lol

Dayle_
31-08-11, 06:58 PM
I'd keep an eye out for a cheap EXP48 DTA or similar from the early 00's (be wary of very old MBE's though as they are a pain to calibrate)

Or megasquirt it if you feel up for a DIY challenge.

OR for even more fun fit a Saab T5 Ecu and use the trionic suite to calibrate things

I agree with Stuart here, Keep an eye on Ebay about a month ago a DTA E48 with loom for a XE sold for £350. That would be a brilliant starting point. I know few good people for mapping DTA Wayne Schofield (if you can get hold of him) being one although he can map anything and i just had my DTA mapped by Aide at AB Garage in Hawarden and was impressed especially with the price.