PDA

View Full Version : Changing engine on log book

gunny
30-08-11, 03:15 PM
Is it true I can send off a receipt for my engine with the engine number on it and the bit of the log book to make the amendment?

Any other info/advice welcome.

brainsnova
30-08-11, 03:44 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?121295-*HOW-TO*-Log-engine-change-with-DVLA

Andy
30-08-11, 04:03 PM
You really are best off going to your local office with a "receipt of purchase" for the engine stating what it was removed from,its capacity and number.Then you get your disc there and then.That way your legal if they start nonsing around sending your v5 back the same/not at all etc etc

Nobby
30-08-11, 10:02 PM
I have just changed mine to a 2.5, you have 2 options

1. If you carried out the conversion yourself
You need proof of engine number cc etc etc from maufacturer.
AA or RAC report
Insurance company report
Independent report

You bought the car with the said conversion done and need a independent garage report confirming that the vehicle is what you say it is and the engine cc, engine codes are correct etc etc

Then if the vehicle is already taxed as mine is as a 1.0 you get a snotty letter saying you owe ££££ mine was an extra £31 and send them a cheque like i did last week and hopefully will recieve a new tax disc (im still waiting for mine lol)

Jack
31-08-11, 08:16 AM
Strongly recommend doing the change over the counter at your local DVLA office. If there's any difference in tax, they can issue a disc and sort the payment there and then over the counter. You're good to drive the car straight away then (as we assume you have insurance and MOT to get the tax).

Anyways. A receipt with engine number is only good if its supplied by the garage who fitted the engine - so if you DIY'ed it, thats no good. In that case, you'd need either an independent garage to give written confirmation of the work, or an RAC/AA inspection.

When I fitted my V6, I had my MOT man give the car a quick checkover and write a few words to confirm the work completed.

Andy
31-08-11, 08:19 AM
A receipt with engine number is only good if its supplied by the garage who fitted the engine - so if you DIY'ed it, thats no good. In that case, you'd need either an independent garage to give written confirmation of the work, or an RAC/AA inspection.

Negative,my receipt wrote on a notepad was good enough,and i told them i fitted it myself.I guess it really depends on luck,either way you WILL get your tax disc that day and ARE legal,its their job to change it-your not going to go in there to make a donation for extra tax for sh1ts and giggles are you!! lol

Nova_Tek
31-08-11, 09:19 AM
Anyways. A receipt with engine number is only good if its supplied by the garage who fitted the engine - so if you DIY'ed it, thats no good. In that case, you'd need either an independent garage to give written confirmation of the work, or an RAC/AA inspection.

When I fitted my V6, I had my MOT man give the car a quick checkover and write a few words to confirm the work completed.

Good shout... ^ that's what I plan to do with mine.

Nobby
31-08-11, 08:45 PM

Me too, had my new tax disc today in the post saved me having to get time off work and go sit in a busy office for half hour or so lol only took just over a week to come back too!

gunny
31-08-11, 11:37 PM
Being on the straight and narrow is such f*cling ball ache but hey ho, needs must

Jack
01-09-11, 07:57 AM
True. lol

Negative,my receipt wrote on a notepad was good enough,and i told them i fitted it myself.I guess it really depends on luck,either way you WILL get your tax disc that day and ARE legal,its their job to change it-your not going to go in there to make a donation for extra tax for sh1ts and giggles are you!! lol
Oh yeah, but its as I've always said - what you're supposed to do and what they let you get away with are usually two different things! Its always best to go prepared IMO. It would be annoying to turn up with either nothing or the wrong type of evidence, and for them to turn you away so you have to come back again.