PDA

View Full Version : high idle on a e16se

nova_pipi
29-08-11, 04:37 PM
hi all, iv got a problem on my 1.6 8v gte engine, the idle constantly sits at around 1500 revs and after i put my foot down a little bit the revs then sit at 2000, iv tried to adjust the idle screw but it has no effect until i adjust the screw so far clockwise it then causes the engine to cut out, i have also checked the pipes leading to the icv just in front of the block and the pipes which connect to the inlet and there are no splits or leaks, can anyone help please?
thanks
phil

GRUNT 16V
30-08-11, 01:05 PM
Is it a e16se or c16se??
If its a e16se ther is a idle control screw which you can turn
if its a c16se sounds like there is a problem with the potentiometer ( idle control valve)

craig green
30-08-11, 01:09 PM
I'd say it still sounds like an air leak, spray some carb cleaner around the inlet to see (listen) if it gets drawn in.

Failing that, is the timing (dizzy) lined up correctly?

nova_pipi
30-08-11, 01:34 PM
Iv tried to adjust the idle control screw but it doesn't affect it until the idle is adjusted so low it cuts the car out, I'll try the carb cleaner as soon as, I think the timing might be out but when I had the timing set a while back I lost a lot of power from the car so I put it back to where it was before :s

Stuart
30-08-11, 01:52 PM
my money is on a cracked rubber pipe between the AFM and TB

mowgli
30-08-11, 01:57 PM
is the icv actually working? pinch the pipe to see if the revs drop.
is the CTS ok? cos that can cause trouble too.

the cracked air pipe is definitely another good place to check.

nova_pipi
30-08-11, 05:31 PM
I checked all the air pipes last weekend and they all seemed ok with no cracks or splits, I just pinched the air pipe on either side of the icv and it seemed to have no effect at all so I'm guessing its not opening when the engine gets hot?