PDA

View Full Version : rust

gte-87
28-08-11, 10:26 PM
hi what the best way to remove surface rust and then seal it to try to stop it coming back i dont really want to go down the welding route?? thanks dan

Pistol Pete
28-08-11, 10:28 PM
Where is the rust? Best way is to sand back as far as possible, prime and repaint. Or at worst cut it out!

marc69
28-08-11, 10:32 PM
if there is a fair bit of rust, it will just spread and come back worse, depends on how much, if its jusst surface you need to take it back to shiny metal, than as said above primer etc

paul james
28-08-11, 10:59 PM
What looks like surface rust can often be worse, sand down a bit of bubbled paint and chances are the rot has spread further than you'd expect. I like to use wire wheel attachments on a drill, its good for removing surface rust and cleaning metal up. I'd use a zinc primer or acid etch primer over bare metal before putting on any other coats. Some people use red oxide but I've yet to try that out myself.

While it can be hard to take an angle grinder to your pride and joy, sometimes its best to cut out terminal metal and weld in some clean steel. Its even more disheartening to spend hours repairing and painting up your car only for the rust to show up again because you've tried to save the original metal.

Get some photos up if you can.

mowgli
28-08-11, 11:39 PM
red oxide is a good primer, but like the rinz primer, people have this stupid idea that the primer on its own will stop rust... it is a key, it is porous, it will soak in moisture unless it is covered with top coat paint.

LEWI007
29-08-11, 12:08 AM
Zinc is the best from my own experience.