PDA

View Full Version : 16v alternator

smooth16v
07-07-03, 06:36 PM
can anyone help me, im fitting a 16v engine into my nova and i know the alternator fouls against the bodywork can you change the bracket or modify it cos i dont wanna modify the body work

pm me or email me on mike.beckwith@ntlworld.com

cheers

brian
07-07-03, 09:37 PM
if you are on about a 1600 16v (small block engine) you won't have a problem.
If you are on about a 2L 16v (big block engine) you can help things by using a "V" belt system as opposed to the wide belt systrm on later red top engines. you will gain more clearance this way

jim sri
07-07-03, 11:15 PM
brian, i am also in the same dilemna, the let is going in my nova in a few weeks but i dont wana modify the bodywork around the strut, what parts do i need exactly so that the alternator will have more clearance?my old valver which i put in, came from an early cav gsi, the nova bay was not modded at all around the suspension turret, and yet the belt/alternator had at least 4cms clearnace.

brian
08-07-03, 02:39 AM
jim your old valver would have had the narrower v belt system if it was from an early cav GSi so thats what yer looking for again to put on yer new let engine unless its already on it.
The last valver i fitted was with the wide belt alternator and i had to mod the chassis leg to clear it as i had to fit it on a sunday and had no narrow (V) alternator and bottom pully handy.

Ste_Nova
08-07-03, 01:49 PM
sod off 4cm clearance!! no chance

smooth16v
08-07-03, 05:46 PM
ive got the early 2.0 16v out of a g reg cav gsi!! so it might fit with that alternator, also will the bottom pulley be ok cos of the old power steering
belt?

brian
09-07-03, 01:08 AM
ive got the early 2.0 16v out of a g reg cav gsi!! so it might fit with that alternator, also will the bottom pulley be ok cos of the old power steering
belt
you will need the v belt bottom pully and i don't know about a v belt bottom pully with power steering but the wide belt bottom pully for power steering will hit steel on cornering with standard mounts.