PDA

View Full Version : registering an engine transplant issue

clemo
28-08-11, 02:19 PM
Hi i finally bought my self a c20xe engine and have started to strip it ready for a rebuild and was rather concerned when i tried to find the engine number and started to clean the plate on the block where it should be stamped but found no number so have tried sanding the rust off and found that it looks like it has been filed off. this might not be a concern to some people but i actually want to register my car has having the conversion when its finished and cant see any way of doing this without the number. is there any other identifying number other than on the front web on the engine where the bell housing bolts? or is this the only number? if so is it still possible to register the change without a number?

blue_peg_16v
28-08-11, 02:24 PM
Can't register without a number and if the numbers filed off it's a nicked engine and not worth putting in the car as if the police stop you and check the numbers they will sieze the car for containing stolen goods get another bottom end would be my approach they can be picked up for next to nothing bare and since you have crank etc that's what I'd look for

Or contact the seller and tell them you want a refund especially if bought through ebay I would also expect the seller to cover costs of collection etc

clemo
28-08-11, 02:26 PM
thats what i feared, i think that is going to be my only option really like you say i have everything i need except for the bare block.

Jack
28-08-11, 02:32 PM
They won't (shouldn't lol) seize a car just because the engine number has been ground off - only if they had other proof the engine had been swiped. Which they may have, especially if they nobble the guy you bought it off for, say, breaking a stolen car and can prove the transfer of engine to you (e.g. via ebay).

TBH you could just make up your own number and stamp that on it. 0000001? lol

swedge
28-08-11, 02:41 PM
i have actualy heard of people just making up the numbers lol

Mike
28-08-11, 03:08 PM
TBH you could just make up your own number and stamp that on it. 0000001? lol

That number has already been taken lol its on my block (not kidding either!)

brainsnova
28-08-11, 03:11 PM
Put your phone number lol

Andy
28-08-11, 03:21 PM
Just restamp it,it will be fine.Ive NEVER had the carpet lifted or the engine number checked,and ive been stopped in cars with no keys lol

MK999
28-08-11, 03:34 PM
as above most people just register it as C20XE0000001, which would make Mike's the most widely stolen engine in the UK if his stamp is genuine lol

mowgli
28-08-11, 04:27 PM
i know this sounds a bit stupid, but if you simply stamp your existing engine number on your new engine, then just simply register a change in capacity, it would make the system go a lot quicker......

christurboo
28-08-11, 08:06 PM
Just restamp it,it will be fine.Ive NEVER had the carpet lifted or the engine number checked,and ive been stopped in cars with no keys lol

this lol

dan23
29-08-11, 11:10 AM
dont put some random number on it the dvla an police can search genuine engine numbers on their data base an know when they have been taken from a stolen An NOT recovered car
any random not exstiant number would look very suspect an when the engine number is entered in to the computer an mot time it would show nothing

either get a refund/ buy a new bottom end or stamp the number of knackered known to be not stolen engine on yours

clemo
29-08-11, 01:46 PM
its alright its going back now anyway it turns out the block is nackered no 2 cylinder bore is fooked its been stood outside under a sheet for years and water has got into the cylinder and rotted it. lesson learned now tho lol check engine number is visible and make sure its a runner lol