PDA

View Full Version : head gasket gone or not?

scotte
07-07-03, 06:19 PM
im not sure if my haed gasket had gone i have a bit of oil in tje water but this happened on my last gsi and was just condesation.the car runs ok but has trouble starting when warm.no idling problems?????any other way of finding out?
if it has gone how easy is it to change??
its a e16se in a gsi

benji
07-07-03, 08:00 PM
do a compression check is the best way to find out, another good indication is if your expansion tank smells of exhaust fumes

brian
07-07-03, 09:33 PM
i have a bit of oil in tje water but this happened on my last gsi and was just condesation
condensation would be the other way around....water in the oil.
as benji said do a compression test on it.
sounds like it might be on the way out though if oil and water are starting to mix. do you notice a drop in water in the header or a lot of gunk under the oil cap? or do you notice the header tank getting dirty?

DazK
07-07-03, 09:43 PM
soz to butt in :P .. not sure whats up with my 1.3SR :? it hadnt been run for about a week .. started it up . it was a bit ruff at first .. quite a bit of bluey coloured smoke comin thru the zorst .. left it running for 20mins then turned it off .. checked the filler cap .. could see a bit of white in the oil not much .. and the oil looked very thin ... started it up again .. and its spitting liquid out the zorst .. alot! left quite a big puddle .. the smoke was still bluey coloured .. and the liquid smelt like watered down petrol? :roll: any ideas people? :|

benji
08-07-03, 07:52 AM
the liquid out of the exhaust is just condencation (sp?) and it smell's of petrol cause you probably had the choke out

DazK
08-07-03, 06:08 PM
its autochoke on mine .. probably needs a good run then :?