PDA

View Full Version : Wasps nest

Edd
26-08-11, 08:20 PM
We have a wasps nest under the front bedroom window (dorma style house) under the lead :( :roll:

Council want £75 to come round and get rid, I'm 99% sure this used to be a free service, what do you pay council tax for ? lol

Rentokill want a £150 :eek:

After a little reading I found out that wasps NEVER go back to a nest, autumn finished they die, queen flies off

We are having new windows fitted on the 29th October and they won't do it if the wasps are still there

Hoping for some advice/ideas

Will they have fcuked off by the 29th October ?

Is there a can or similar to buy, spray in there job done ? Where from ?

Or some simple household stuff to get rid ? Someone has suggested water with lots of washing up liquid in it sprayed in the with a super soaker ? lol

Don't really want to spend £75 as that's tax for the nova lol

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated

Edd

mowgli
26-08-11, 08:22 PM
get some raid or similar, then fit something like a wd40 squirter top to it, and a long thin pipe, feed the pipe into the nest & fire the can into it. then get out the way.

maybe check your household insurance.

swedge
26-08-11, 08:25 PM
the stuff you buy from poundstretcher works great, you put it beside the nest and the wasps are atracted to it

they get it stuck to them then go inside thier nest and spread it around and they all die :)

only a couple quid too ive used it a few times

Andy
26-08-11, 08:46 PM
Do NOT attempt it yourself,dont,just dont.
At this time of year its a fully packed out sh1thole full of the bastads,im talking thousands....
£75 is fair.Round here its cheaper though HAHA!! lol
29th october? no chance.They die in around mid november trust me,worked at houses with dingys who wouldnt get rid then they all bawled when they got stung all the time

Andy
26-08-11, 08:47 PM
oh and they never come back as they all die except queen,they only live for the season
edit wont be under the lead either,more than likely in the loft mate and/or the fascia void space

John
26-08-11, 08:51 PM
Knock the ****er down and run lol

Nobby
26-08-11, 08:59 PM
we had them x2 this year have a lookin the yellow pages and get a local chap to come and spray them we were charged £30 but we haggled lol

Andy
26-08-11, 09:01 PM
round here its £30 a nest,a loft can have many..........

Edd
26-08-11, 09:05 PM
There not in the loft I looked, there's a space between the bottom of the window and where the window starts, runs the length of the house, void space as you say

I'd rather do it myself lol so might get a can from poundstretcher and try that, goggles, face mask, hoodie, jeans, two pairs of socks, roll of gaffa tape on trouser legs and sleeves should do it lol

Andy
26-08-11, 09:07 PM
like this?? with a fukkin gauging trowell FFS!! hahaha lol lol lol lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-aSLqTlKvc

John
26-08-11, 09:10 PM
like this?? with a fukkin gauging trowell FFS!! hahaha lol lol lol lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-aSLqTlKvc

Flol!

Andy
26-08-11, 09:13 PM
what a lunatic though?? theyre all in the house, the lot lol lol lol

Spudly
26-08-11, 09:15 PM
What a doyle, why open the window, do it from outside ya numpty!

I dont even think i couldve watched from inside with the window closed, evil fcukers are wasps!

Andy
26-08-11, 09:21 PM
I found that last year bizzarrely,i still maintain its youtubes most epic vid.

Spudly
26-08-11, 09:22 PM
Made my skin crawl, nasty little chavs of the insect world lol

NOV4_SPORT
26-08-11, 09:31 PM
Epic vid mate, iam the same as mr potato, that made my skin start to crawl, i hate the fookers.
+ rep
Mabey edd sould do somthing similar and get the whole thing on film flol lol lol.

iain

Andy
26-08-11, 09:36 PM
Nah i reckon they would sting the sport lol

brainsnova
26-08-11, 09:47 PM
£45 here Edinburgh council

Jeff16v
26-08-11, 09:59 PM
Easy job, get a net curtain over your head, roll a big one, you stay calm and the wasps chill out too , then old engine oil the buggers. Stops them Flying so they can't sting you. If they get angry you'll be to hungry after the big one and won't care about being stung, I bet the angry ones won't even make it to the kebab shop before they give up.

_Jake
26-08-11, 09:59 PM
wasps nests are nothing, its hornets nests that are the worst!

Andy
26-08-11, 10:02 PM
go shag it then

Spudly
26-08-11, 10:07 PM
Lmfao Jeff youre off your tits lad, if only i could rep you again, and somehow Andy, ill bet mr Jake wont go shag a wasps nest, even if they are 'nothing' lol

brainsnova
26-08-11, 10:13 PM
go shag it then

Would it have to be safe sex lol

_Jake
26-08-11, 10:14 PM
i didnt mean it like that :P ive had to deal with a few wasps nests at work and compared to hornets nests there easier to get rid of

Andy
26-08-11, 10:14 PM
whats work? pest control bud?

_Jake
26-08-11, 10:20 PM
work on a farm, had wasps nests in a workshop this year, hornets nest in a beet stack & a few other wasps nests in bale stacks etc

Andy
26-08-11, 10:22 PM
A few?? do you farm the bastads?! lol
Hornets?? theyre quite rare arent they? ive seen them round here but not the nests

Jeff16v
26-08-11, 10:26 PM
Hornets over here are tiny, I lived in hong kong, bloody huge over there!

_Jake
26-08-11, 10:31 PM
1500 acres of land, so theres bound to be a few about :P & yeah the bloke i work with is 58 and he said the last time he saw a hornets before this year was when he was my age, and im 17. there bloody huge, and sound like a chainsaw

bazil
26-08-11, 10:35 PM
They may not return to the same nest BUT, in my loft the queen hung around and a new nest was made 4 years in row!!! The biggest is about the size of a football :(

I've been quoted around £170 to get rid of the 5 I have now lol

Edd
26-08-11, 10:36 PM
lol @ Jeff, I won't be blazin a phat one that's for sure lol time and place for stuff like that, deffo not up a ladder messing with a wasps nest lol

I will get the mrs to film what I do and see if i can post a video up

When I was a teenager me and my dad set fire to a hornets nest, big mistake lol I got stung, arm had golf ball size lump, hospital job :(

Stuart
26-08-11, 10:41 PM
Ant powder kills wasps.

Do it at dusk when the mofos will be back home and a bit placid.
Add the wasp nest eating foam crap if you like.

Lewis.
26-08-11, 11:12 PM
at work we chase wasps around the workshop with cans of easy start. once they fly through the cloud of ether vapour they just fall to the ground and twitch, then you can administer your boot with ease :) worth a try maybe?

Andy
26-08-11, 11:13 PM
at work we chase wasps around the workshop with cans of easy start. once they fly through the cloud of ether vapour they just fall to the ground and twitch, then you can administer your boot with ease :) worth a try maybe?
x5000?? i dont think so.....

NOV4_SPORT
26-08-11, 11:22 PM
They may not return to the same nest BUT, in my loft the queen hung around and a new nest was made 4 years in row!!! The biggest is about the size of a football :(

I've been quoted around £170 to get rid of the 5 I have now lol

Fook, iam never going into your loft ever again, iam genuinely (sp) scarred of them mate, at least some of your nova spares will be safe up there there is no chance you would get me up there now flol

iain

Lewis.
26-08-11, 11:39 PM
x5000?? i dont think so.....

in think i'd get about 3 before i was just stung to death lol in Edd's situation, i'd spend £75 and have the councill remove it.

Andy
26-08-11, 11:44 PM
as ive told him.ask mike mowgli how bad it is,i remember him telling me a few years back how he had been attacked by hundreds of them..........

bazil
27-08-11, 12:24 AM
Fook, iam never going into your loft ever again, iam genuinely (sp) scarred of them mate, at least some of your nova spares will be safe up there there is no chance you would get me up there now flol

iain

Flol ya woos, the queen was killed long ago. But I never got round to removing the nest, I'll try and get pics for ya

Edd
27-08-11, 12:24 AM
Stu, I've seen that nest eating stuff, thing is I can't see the nest lol

I'll get some nuke em stuff tomorrow me thinks :d

Might just say fcuk the bloody nova I'll bring it out in the spring as these thing keep cropping up to guzzle my cash :mad:lol and pay £75

MK999
27-08-11, 12:47 AM
http://info-wars.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/pipe-bomb.jpg

Bubba
27-08-11, 12:51 AM
i see two options...

1. baseball bat and become a youtube sensation.
2. fill it with expanding foam...and become a youtube sensation lol

edit....or find a henry :D and suck them into oblivion

TeddyThom
27-08-11, 01:37 AM
i see two options...

1. baseball bat and become a youtube sensation.
2. fill it with expanding foam...and become a youtube sensation lol

edit....or find a henry :D and suck them into oblivion

And become a youtube sensation lol

Jon_nova1
27-08-11, 10:02 AM
get the compressed C02/argon off your welder, put hose in wasps nest, turn gas on and freeze them, if it doesn't freeze them they'll die of lack of oxygen...ps don't turn the gas on too high, you'll blow the nest up lol

mowgli
27-08-11, 11:22 AM
as ive told him.ask mike mowgli how bad it is,i remember him telling me a few years back how he had been attacked by hundreds of them..........
bloody right... i accidentally stepped on a nest at a woodyard where i was putting up a steel building... the hospital counted about 200 stings.. i was in there 9 hrs & was off my face on the anti sting drugs for 3 days & not allowed to drive for a week.. and i was best man at a wedding the next day... i have spent years apologising for my speach

mowgli
27-08-11, 11:24 AM
find a henry :D and suck them into oblivion

i saw a telly show about 999 calls, and a coffin dodger had hoovered up a complete wasp nest then realised he couldn't turn it off without them escaping, so called the fire brigade.....lollollollollol

Riggy
27-08-11, 12:35 PM
lol dyson cyclone the ****ers , thats hardcore lol

Southie
27-08-11, 04:57 PM
Here you go Edd, have a read of this.

http://pests.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-wasps.htm

Pete
29-08-11, 07:21 PM
My grandad had a nest that was bugging him for ages, he got a weed wand with some butane gas, waiting till 11'ish and burnt lots of the ****ers. Got stung twice mind you but saved the pennies.

Hobbit
29-08-11, 09:54 PM
can of lynx and a lighter?

novaguy08
29-08-11, 10:58 PM

Funny, my thoughts were a supersoaker full of lighter fluid and a lighter.......... but expanding foam and a dyson should be a good larff

MK999
29-08-11, 11:03 PM
again, pipe bomb, stuff it in and run lol

Jack
30-08-11, 10:01 AM
That was going to be my suggestion, surprised nobody had mentioned it before lol

I found a wasp up my shirt yesterday, on my moob. The fcuker stung me as well (probably to do with the fact I mashed him into my chest) - dunno what all the fuss is about, it stung the fcuk out of my moob but its no worse than a pinch :confused:

Its always funny when people go beserk when there's a wasp around, waving their arms about etc lol

16xe_chris
30-08-11, 10:59 AM
You can get powder wasp nest killer or like someone already mentioned ant nest destroyer is just as good, we took care of a nest nest last week and within 3 hours they had all but left the nest, then just keep putting a bit more in after a few days as some of the grubs inside the nest may well hatch out. Just puff the powder into the entrance where they are going in and out and they walk it into the nest.

TeddyThom
30-08-11, 11:59 AM
That was going to be my suggestion, surprised nobody had mentioned it before lol

I found a wasp up my shirt yesterday, on my moob. The fcuker stung me as well (probably to do with the fact I mashed him into my chest) - dunno what all the fuss is about, it stung the fcuk out of my moob but its no worse than a pinch :confused:

Its always funny when people go beserk when there's a wasp around, waving their arms about etc lol

I hate wasps. I got stung in the chest near to my collarbone and couldn't breathe properly for an hour :/

mowgli
30-08-11, 12:26 PM

as from my previous post.... i do the stand still, act calm thing when a wasp gets near.... my daughters act like there is a rave on, all hands in the air making shapes etc..... and then get no sympathy from me when the wasp gets them...

GRUNT 16V
30-08-11, 01:11 PM
Aerosol can and a lighter !!!!!!! Works every time !!! Just be prepaired to run like f$£k if it dosent work

Jack
30-08-11, 01:23 PM
my daughters act like there is a rave on, all hands in the air making shapes etc
LMFAO lol

mowgli
30-08-11, 01:25 PM
and i follow it with a ' well that serves you right, now go & get the sting ointment'

Andy
30-08-11, 03:59 PM
I hate wasps. I got stung in the chest near to my collarbone and couldn't breathe properly for an hour :/

You are obviously allergic then and should carry one of them pen things

Tanya.
30-08-11, 04:14 PM

I agree with Andy. I'm allergic to them and I have a pen to inject myself with as it affects my breathing too :)

TeddyThom
30-08-11, 05:47 PM
I agree with Andy. I'm allergic to them and I have a pen to inject myself with as it affects my breathing too :)

What the hell are these pen things then?? I got stung in the back when I was younger and all it did was make me jump... So what the hell changed?? lol

Hobbit
30-08-11, 08:38 PM

hmm, irrational fear of small harmless creatures... that reminds me...

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p72/wiggardywoo/slug6.jpg

:p lol

Jack
30-08-11, 09:07 PM
Cannot even look at that pic

I might ban you for that lol

[edit] anyway, that looks like a snail...

djbrowney
30-08-11, 09:10 PM
does it look like this lol

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad165/djbrowney_let/011-7.jpg

mowgli
30-08-11, 09:10 PM
http://www.chipshopawards.com/include/image.php/nom_1179_p1_98482.jpg?height=300&width=200&cropratio=3:2&image=http://www.chipshopawards.com/images/nominations/nom_1179_p1_98482.jpg

Hobbit
30-08-11, 09:23 PM
[edit] anyway, that looks like a snail...

I seem to recal you screaming like a small child at both being thrown at you. I got really told off for that :( no one told me it was bad form to throw slugs and snails at someone who is helping you move house :confused: lol

Jack
31-08-11, 08:22 AM
Snails are Ok. Its slugs I don't like. I got chased by one as a kid, scarred me for life lol

mowgli
31-08-11, 08:46 AM
so the ones with caravans are ok then?????

swedge
31-08-11, 08:58 AM
Snails are Ok. Its slugs I don't like. I got chased by one as a kid, scarred me for life lol

haha you got chased by a slug? where you in a 1.0 nova? lol

Tanya.
31-08-11, 09:28 AM
What the hell are these pen things then?? I got stung in the back when I was younger and all it did was make me jump... So what the hell changed?? lol

It's an Epipen to either treat or help the onset of anaphylactic shock. I'm pretty sure it's adrenaline inside it.

I never used to be allergic either. I was apparently stung when I was a baby and was absolutely fine and then was stung again when I was 7 and reacted badly to it. Sometimes allergies don't show up until later in life. It was only around turning 16 that I discovered I was lactose intolerant up until that point I was a huge chocolate lover lol

TeddyThom
31-08-11, 10:12 AM
It's an Epipen to either treat or help the onset of anaphylactic shock. I'm pretty sure it's adrenaline inside it.

I never used to be allergic either. I was apparently stung when I was a baby and was absolutely fine and then was stung again when I was 7 and reacted badly to it. Sometimes allergies don't show up until later in life. It was only around turning 16 that I discovered I was lactose intolerant up until that point I was a huge chocolate lover lol

Oh I see... Well I've never got close enough to be stung again haha.... Makes it all the worse seeing there is a wasps nest in the wall right next to where I park my car for work... :/ Anyone got any spare pipe bombs?? lollol

swedge
31-08-11, 10:15 AM
i rode over a wasp hive once on my pushbike for a dare

nice to say i got stung twice on the **** after loosing my balance lol

MK999
31-08-11, 10:10 PM

'Epi'nephrin (spelling?) Hence the name.

Mike
31-08-11, 10:13 PM
Poke it with a stick at arms length, when they all fly away looking for the "poker" move the nest so they get confused on there return :)

Jack
31-08-11, 10:17 PM
'Epi'nephrin[e]
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3640/3579069906_552ef3afa2.jpg

MK999
31-08-11, 10:19 PM
It wasn't that bad a guess that you had to look like you're taking a curry poo.

Spudly
01-09-11, 06:38 PM
So does that mean nasal spray is as good as jack, or should i call you 'Chev' lol

Jack
01-09-11, 08:07 PM
Thats "bitch ass Chelios" to you lol

Edd
02-09-11, 10:54 AM
I've attempted to get rid of the fcukers lol

Got some wasps and ant nest stuff and mixed it up and sprayed it in there with a pressurized pump up bottle, it made them angry, they seemed to have massively grown in numbers as well :eek: as you can here them through the wall in our bedroom

When i get home I'm going to mix the rest of the stuff up get it in there, seal the hole up and bang the lead back down, seal the fcukers in so they die :d

Thanks for all the replies BTW :)

Spudly
02-09-11, 05:50 PM
I wouldnt want to try sealing them in if i were you, you may find they find alternate entrance and exit points, namely burrowing through the wall and into your bedroom:eek:

Benn
02-09-11, 05:54 PM
I've attempted to get rid of the fcukers lol

Got some wasps and ant nest stuff and mixed it up and sprayed it in there with a pressurized pump up bottle, it made them angry, they seemed to have massively grown in numbers as well :eek: as you can here them through the wall in our bedroom

When i get home I'm going to mix the rest of the stuff up get it in there, seal the hole up and bang the lead back down, seal the fcukers in so they die :d

Thanks for all the replies BTW :)

Just call some one in, If not you and the wide will be in A&E.

Bubba
02-09-11, 06:05 PM
in the walls?? yeh i'd go pro now. we go rats scurrying around in our walls...noisy buggers, although they dont venture into the flat anymore after me n my flatmate went "ratting" in the kitchen lol lol

Edd
02-09-11, 08:00 PM
Fell off the fcuking ladder bout half hour ago :mad: lol

Had enough phoning council Monday first thing

They are everywhere now ffs

Andy
02-09-11, 08:09 PM
A relative blew a full can of expanding foam at an EARLY nest (may) and an expert said they would have just eaten their way out eventually and attacked owt that moved.
And....... pest control generally charge extra when you have fukked around with them so that wasnt so heroic after all eh?

Jeff16v
02-09-11, 08:17 PM
Edd, that's why I said pour engine oil on them, they can't clean it off and they can't fly with it on. Oh and the buzzin is quieter, lol
It now sounds like you've got some seriously pissed wasps.lol

Don't the experts just bag the nest with a pull-cord bag?

Andy
02-09-11, 08:36 PM
How can he bag the nest seriously???
Apart from the fact its in a wall cavity theyre made from paper-impossible!!
Again how can you pour engine oil in a wall cavity with wasps in and out at (a rough guess 50+a minute??!!)
The experts use powder thats 10000000000 times more effective than cheapo/gyppo raid stuff.
If it was that good,there would be no need for pest controllers eh?
Raid cans would put them out of business.
Edd needs to stop being a gyppo and stick his hand in his pocket,or just put up with him and his other half been stung to bits-it really is that simple,if this was a question in may/june then you might have the slightest chance of being a hero,september-forget it....

Edd
02-09-11, 08:42 PM
lol as said I will be phoning council first thing Monday

Mrs says she be off to her sisters if not lol apparently I'm being tight with cash lol

Andy
02-09-11, 08:53 PM
and how did you fall off the ladder?? this just sounds like a scene from charlie chaplin ffs lol lol lol

mowgli
02-09-11, 08:56 PM
this thread just keeps on giving...lollollollol

Edd
02-09-11, 09:01 PM
I sprayed some stuff in there they all came out I fell off lol

mowgli
02-09-11, 09:03 PM
imagine if a giant shoved a massive pipe thru your door & tried to poison you.... would you be a tad miffed????

Andy
02-09-11, 09:05 PM
i always imagine it if someone tried burgling my house when all my family and friends were round.
We would go out and destroy anyone who tried-and so will these insects......

Spudly
02-09-11, 09:06 PM
Exactly, its like a load of chavs trying to break into your house whilst you have all of your hardest mates round, youd all run out with bats lol

Same thing:p

Spudly
02-09-11, 09:07 PM
Lmfao @ mine and Andy's sentiments being worded different but saying the same thing, we know each other too well our kid hahahaha:d

Andy
03-09-11, 08:58 AM
Ive just dropped kids off at the inlaws and got stung for absolutely no reason at all,got back in the car after the handover and i saw it at the t-shirt sleeve just after it had done it to the back of my armpit.Fukkin ******* lost its head for its efforts though,just glad it didnt get one of the kids as now im home it does hurt.

mowgli
03-09-11, 09:13 AM
maybe the buddhists are right & in a past life you offended someone.........

Andy
03-09-11, 09:28 AM
lol what about you then?? you must have offended 200+ people lol
Just goes to show though-you can be going about your daily routine,i didnt even notice it at all,i only knew when i were in the car after it happened,and theres edd spraying glorified self raising flour into thousands of them.
Be careful.............

mowgli
03-09-11, 10:23 AM
lol what about you then?? you must have offended 200+ people lol

i can't vouch for the previous life, but in this one i've done that on a single website before.....cough cough

Andy
14-09-11, 07:36 PM
what happened with this??

Edd
14-09-11, 07:41 PM
Council can't do it for at least 4 weeks

Waiting for ring back

They've calmed down tbh

But I ain't going up the ladder again lol

Spudly
14-09-11, 07:45 PM
Oh yeah i forgot to add, after this thread i remembered that a few years ago we had a wasps nest below the gutters on the back of our house, so i went to my brother's room to have a spy, and bugger me if its not still there, they fly out from under the gutter which sits just below the roof level, so theyre in the attic, above my fooking bedroom, nice one, why the hell did i look:cry:

Andy
14-09-11, 07:56 PM
Council can't do it for at least 4 weeks

Waiting for ring back

They've calmed down tbh

But I ain't going up the ladder again lol
4 weeks??? wtf is it a parish council or what lol
Just ring rentokil or a local firm