PDA

View Full Version : Damper valving

Mieran
25-08-11, 02:18 PM
Anyone has any info about this topic?

I was having a look at the corby motorsport website and they say we can provide dampers with the correct valving, which made me wonder how it all works.

When it comes to picking spring rates, how do you match dampers to suit?

How does different valving make the car behave and handle?

Looking for as much info as possible really to understand how it all works.

Cheers

garyc
25-08-11, 06:43 PM
Your probably best speaking to whoever is going to build your shocks eg Gaz direct. Basically you can alter the bump and rebound rate. If you ask them to valve them for your set up and you have adjustable damping then you can effectively change the valving yourself.

Benn
25-08-11, 07:04 PM
As above, the inserts have valves in them to allow oil to more around for the damping and rebound. I guess if they are to big them oil is free to move tomuch so you'll lose hardness and tightness.

MK999
25-08-11, 07:58 PM
without dampers you'd have one of those kiddie playground rides that just sits on the floor instead instead of bouncing around when you sit on them (:() Except obviously the car is a 5 year old not a big kid, so it actually does bounce around. Too much damping and you'd lean around a corner and stay there. Correct damping is somewhere in the middle of those (much much closer to the middle than those two extremes lol)