PDA

View Full Version : Cav mk3 expanded view

hendrix
24-08-11, 08:01 PM
Anyone have an image of a cav mk3 front strut (shock, spring, tops etc) in expanded / exploded view?

Cheers

scott.parker
24-08-11, 08:02 PM
let me look in my Haynes work shop manual mate..

No exploded view, but Ive got some for replacing parts etc, do you want scans?

hendrix
24-08-11, 08:16 PM
I think I have a haynes somewhere in the garage mate, I was just hoping there was an expanded view but didn't notice one in the haynes. Thank you for the offer though

I have cav suspension fail lol

scott.parker
24-08-11, 08:19 PM
No worries mate, looked through it cant see any..

Whats the cav done?

hendrix
24-08-11, 08:24 PM
knocking really bad from the front somewhere and the only thing I can find when I jack it up is the spring and the underside of the strut top rattling around agains the shock piston

Asa-James
25-08-11, 07:53 AM
pull the strut out for a better look, might just be a top mount collapsed.

Dod
25-08-11, 08:45 PM
Ok, the strut is like this, from top to bottom.

Strut Cap (as seen from the engine bay)
Strut Mushroom, this sits from the underside into the strut mount. Remove the top nut and you'll reveal the bearing and the inner muchroom cap. These sit on the threaded end of the strut insert. The insert is held into the strut body by a large threaded cap that screws into the body. Below that is your front Ball joint that goes into the bottom of the strut and connects it to the wishbone.

You also have the steering arm but realistically its probably your Antiroll bar bush thats failed or even broken.

A list of possibilities is:

Top bearing failure (doubtful if its banging)
Track Rod end or ball joint failure
Insert retaining cap has come loose.

When does it knock at the front?

Balley
25-08-11, 09:31 PM
I would say the damper is loose in the strut housing. Or the strut top has gone which is common on lowered MK3 etc